Saunders Research Building home of Preventive Medicine Residency
- A diverse set of pre-planned practicum rotations and clinical experiences with the opportunity to create your own rotations with guidance by the program director—both in Rochester, or off-site during a block that does not conflict with classwork.
- Personalized attention and career development mentorship.
- Practicum experience at the Monroe County Department of Public Health, a leading national county health department with longstanding collaboration with the University of Rochester and particularly the Department of Public Health Sciences.
- Academically strong Masters of Public Health (MPH) Degree Curriculum offered by your home department, which was ranked number 2 by U.S. News and World Report for departments within medical schools offering an M.P.H.
- Multiple opportunities to explore clinical preventive medicine including preventive cardiology, tobacco cessation counseling, nutrition in medicine, Occupational Medicine travel clinics, and public health department clinics
- Strong Commitment by the University of Rochester to improving the health of its community as evidenced by the URMC mission statement and its creation of a Center for Community Health where you can have a practicum experience.
- Strength in preventive cardiology clinical practice, research and policy.
- Strong track record of university faculty in environmental health research and policy
- Department and residency are part of a medical school with a Clinical and Translational Science and medical center with their many education resources and opportunities to collaborate on new or the many current multidisciplinary projects between PHS and other departments such as pediatrics, cardiology and the School of Nursing.
- Residency in a family friendly, yet cosmopolitan city/region with ridiculously easy way of life with perks such as short commuting time, reasonable cost-of-living, and many cultural and community events.
- Very flexible program within a medical school at the region’s only tertiary medical center, As part of the medical school, the department is integrated with many activities of the medical center
- Multiple collaborations with other departments such as pediatrics, family medicine and internal medicine.
- Unique Opportunities such as a practicum with the medical center’s Office of Quality Improvement, clinical rotations in Preventive Cardiology and opportunities for residents to develop clinical experiences in areas of practice in which they have particular interest.
Fantastic Career Paths
Career path outcomes for program graduates may include:
- Additional Residency/Fellowship Training
- Clinical / Direct Patient Care
- Government Health Agencies – Federal, State, Local
- Academics or Academic Medical Centers
- Private Sector and/or Health System Leadership
- Additional Residency/Fellowship Training:
- Occupational & Environmental Medicine
- Lifestyle & Integrative Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Clinical Genetics
- Medical Informatics
- Clinical / Direct Patient Care:
- Occupational Medicine
- Lifestyle Medicine
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitative Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Geriatric Medicine
- Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine
- Medical Mission to Developing Countries