Skip to main content
Explore URMC
Education / Graduate Education / Master's Degrees / Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

Our FAQ pages will help answer many of your questions related to admissions at the SMD, the application process, being an international applicant, and the professional and career development resources available to students in the School of Medicine and Dentistry.


When are applications reviewed and by whom?

Applications are reviewed as they are received by Program Directors and Admissions Committees Members.

How are applications evaluated?

Applicants are evaluated by the individual programs to which they have applied on the basis of their prior performance and promise for exceptional achievement at the graduate level, as evidenced by their academic records, letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with their capabilities, standardized test scores and any other pertinent data they submit. Applicants are also evaluated on their ability to elaborate on their work, reason for pursuing graduate studies and future career plans in interviews conducted in person or via the internet/telephone.

Specific admission requirements vary by program. In general, most programs require significant work in the basic, applied and the physical sciences, mathematics, writing and established research skills.

When will I know if I've been accepted?

Master’s degree applications are typically reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year. If you would like to check on the status of your application, please contact your Program Coordinator directly.

If I’ve been accepted, when can I enroll?

Students entering via a Master’s degree program start in late August or early September for Fall admission or mid-January for Spring admission.

What if I need to defer my admission?

The graduate programs accept applications for the next immediate academic year. Accepted applicants who wish to postpone their entrance may request a deferral of up to one year by obtaining permission from the Program Director. If the deferral request is granted, the applicant’s place would be reserved with the next entering class. If the deferral request is denied, the applicant must choose either to matriculate in the class to which admission has been offered or to reapply for admission at a future date.

How will I know if I haven’t been offered admission?

Once a decision regarding your application has been made, you will receive an email to inform you that you have or have not been offered admission. If you have not received such an email, the program may still be reviewing your application. If you would like to check on the status of your application, please contact your Program Coordinator directly.


Where is the online application?

The online application is now open. (recommended browser is google chrome)

Is there an application fee?

Yes. The fee is $60 and is paid during the Online Application process.

What is the application deadline?


Master’s Programs

January 15 for Fall admission to MS Genetic Counseling
May 1 for Fall admission to all other masters programs

Detailed Application Timeline

What materials do I need to complete my application?

Application Requirements

What should my Statement of Purpose include?

The Statement of Purpose should clearly describe your reasons for applying to the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, your preparation for the field of study, your study and research interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study. If there are weaknesses in your application, please address them directly as this will be to your benefit. Your statement should not exceed 3 pages in length (single spaced). Because you are applying online, you should prepare your statement in advance and be prepared to upload it.

Is a writing sample required?

The following masters programs require one (1) sample of the applicant’s own writing with individual authorship: Clinical Investigation, Epidemiology, Health Services Research & Policy, Medical Humanities, Public Health Generalist, and Public Health Generalist Online. This sample can be academic, narrative, or creative in nature and is designed to demonstrate the applicant’s ability to present an idea, reason and argue in written form.

Which standardized tests are required for admission?

  1. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (Institution Code is 2948)
    Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission to most Master's programs in the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. There is no specified minimum test score required for admission consideration or actual admission. For the application process, scans of official score reports for GREs taken within 5 years of the original test date will be accepted. Offers of admission are contingent on receipt of final official test scores.
  2. English Language Proficiency (TOEFL Institution Code is 2948)
    Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency by taking one of the tests below.
    1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)iBT or ITP Plus
    2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    3. Duo Lingo

Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?

Three letters of recommendation are required for all Master's programs. At least one of the recommenders should be a faculty member at the last school you attended as a full-time student unless you have been out of school for more than four years. Substitutions for faculty recommendations may include work associates or others who can comment on your academic potential for graduate work. As a professional courtesy, you should notify your recommenders of the request for a recommendation letter in advance.

Letters of recommendation are submitted via the online application system only. Hard copy letters are not accepted. This will require that you organize in advance the name, title, address, institution or business name, and email address of all your recommenders before applying online. Immediately after you submit your application, your recommenders are sent an email asking them to submit a letter of recommendation electronically.

Is there a minimum GPA required?

Historically, those admitted to Master's programs in the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry have achieved cumulative undergraduate grade-point-averages (GPA) higher than 3.25.

Where do I send my transcripts?

It is expected that transcripts be scanned and uploaded to your online application.

What is the correct Institution Code for the GRE and TOEFL?

The SMD Institution Code is 2948.

How do I find out if my application and letters of recommendation have been received?

Please return to your Applicant Status Page and log in to review your application checklist.

How can I check the status of my application after it is completed?

Inquiries regarding the status of an application should be directed to the Graduate Coordinator affiliated with the graduate program to which you have applied.

International Applicants

Who is considered an International Applicant?

International applicants are individuals who need a visa in order to study or live in the U.S. Individuals who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States of America, no matter where in the world they live or go to school, are not considered international applicants.

International students must meet the same requirements and deadlines as all other applicants. All application materials and recommendations must be written in English.

Are there any requirements specific to an International Applicant?

Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide official scores that are within 2 years of the original test date.

The following test types are acceptable:

  1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)iBT or ITP Plus
  2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  3. DuoLingo

When official score reports cannot be sent to the SMD directly from the testing agency because they are greater than 1 year old, please scan and upload your official score report to your online application under "Other Documents".

Is waiver of the TOEFL/IELTS requirement possible?

Applicants who have earned or will earn an undergraduate baccalaureate degree from a US educational institution are not required to take the TOEFL or IELTS.

Exceptions to the TOEFL/IELTS requirement may be granted for applicants who have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in a country where English is an official language and where all instruction is provided in English. An exception for the TOEFL/IELTS will be considered with a written request submitted to

Completion of a graduate level degree at a U.S. institution may exempt an applicant from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. Submit a written request to your program coordinator for consideration.

Do you require a credential evaluation?

Foreign applicants may voluntarily submit a credential evaluation in addition to, or in lieu of, an undergraduate transcript record for admission review purposes.  Foreign applicants whose U.S. bachelors degree equivalency cannot be verified through a review of their foreign credentials may also be requested by either the graduate admissions office or program faculty/staff to submit an independent credential evaluation to support their application.  

Credential evaluations must include the following:

  • Be recognized/approved by NACES as an authorized evaluator
  • U.S. education/degree equivalency
  • U.S. equivalent GPA

A list of approved credential evaluation services can be found here. The most commonly used, and highly reputable, service is World Education Services (WES).

Is Financial Aid available for international students who apply to a Master’s Degree Program?

Limited scholarships may be available for highly qualified applicants to some programs. It is strongly recommended that applicants identify personal or external funding options while simultaneously pursuing admission to the program, as the process often takes longer than expected. International students are not eligible for federal financial aid but may be eligible for loans from their home country.

International applicants who are offered admission must provide official bank documents or a letter of financial sponsorship that shows support for at least the first full year of tuition and living expenses. For an estimated annual cost of attendance, see financial aid information.