Graduate study at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry means engaging in research and training that informs and shapes the world around us. We invite you to explore our numerous graduate degree programs, our facilities and resources, our people, and our community. We welcome your application to our school should you choose to apply. For more information about admissions, visit the school's Admissions Page.
Admission to the program is on a competitive basis with 10-15 new students matriculating each year. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (institution code: 2948) is a mandatory requirement.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (institution code: 2948) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a mandatory requirement of applicants whose primary language is not English; the Test of Spoken English (TSE) is highly recommended.
Decisions are made by an Admissions Committee after review of applications and personal or phone interview.
Completed applications must be received by December 1st for consideration for Fall semester admission (new students are only admitted for Fall semester).
Application Requirements for PhD Programs
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please note that the University of Rochester reserves the right to verify the accuracy of all transcripts and test scores, and to require submission of official documentation at any point in the admissions review process.
- Online Application (recommended browser is Google Chrome)
- Statement of Purpose
- Uploaded copy of transcript(s) to online application.
Please do not mail a hard copy at this time.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Official GRE Scores (institution code: 2948)
Scans of official score reports for GREs taken within 5 years of the original test date will be accepted. Offers of admission are contingent on receipt of final official test scores
- Official TOEFL (institution code: 2948) or IELTS Scores
For applicants whose native language is not English.
- Payment of the $60.00 application fee. (automatically waived for applications submitted by November 15th)
- The following programs require a writing sample: Epidemiology and Health Services Research and Policy. Otherwise, research papers, publications and other original works, as well as resumes and CVs may also be submitted for consideration, but are not required.
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not include secondary school documentation, financial documentation, etc., as these are not utilized during the admissions process.
PhD Application Timeline
For Admission to Fall Semester
- By November 15th - The $60 application fee is automatically waived for applications submitted by November 15th
- By December 1st - Complete application due ($60 application fee applies)
- After the December 1st deadline, applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis at each program’s discretion.
- December - January - Interviews scheduled
- January-February - Interviews held at University of Rochester Medical Center
- February-March - Offer of admission notices mailed after interviews
- By April 15 - Responses due for offer of admission
- July - Online application opens
- September - Fall semester begins