Getting Started For Graduate Students
Getting Started Checklist | Spring Admits | Fall Admits
Let us be among the many to congratulate and welcome you to graduate school at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry!
We’re planning an informative and entertaining orientation program that will introduce you to life as a University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry graduate student.
Throughout the fall, you will be faced with many new challenges and decisions. We hope to make your transition to graduate school a smooth one and prepare you for the wealth of exciting opportunities that will come before you.
Please be sure to review our Trainee Handbook for information about your transition to the University of Rochester and to Rochester, New York. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call us at (585) 275-4522 or email us. We are here to help!
We look forward to your arrival!
Edith M. Lord, PhD
Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education
and the Office for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs Staff
Getting Started Checklist
Review the Getting Started Checklist for some of the most important first steps in your graduate school career.
For Students Starting in the Spring or Summer of 2017
A formal orientation program is not held for students starting in the spring semester. Students may reference the Getting Started Checklist above and also work with the SMD Registrar and the Graduate Program Administrator to get started during the spring semester.
For Students Starting in the Fall of 2017
International Student Orientation Program
To Be Determined | ISO Orientation Website
School of Medicine and Dentistry Graduate Student Orientation - Thursday, August 24, 2017
Student Services Overview
- 8:45am - Welcome by Edith M. Lord, PhD, Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education
- 8:55am - Ann McMican, Associate Director for Administration for University Health Services (UHS)
- 9:05am - Karen Liljequist, MLIS, AHIP, Assistant Director Institute for Innovative Education, Miner Library & Michele Messenger, Instructional Design Specialist-Online Learning, Miner Library
- 9:25am - Peg Ehmann, Bursar & BJ Revill, Financial Aid Director
- 9:35am - Morgan Levy, J.D., Director of Equal Opportunity and Title IX Coordinator
- 9:50am - Taylor Moon and Laura Shum, Graduate Student Society (GSS)
- 10:00am - Lynnett VanSlyke, University Intercessor and Disability Compliance Officer
- 10:10am - Cynthia Coates, University of Rochester Crime Prevention Specialist
- 10:20am - Elaine Smolock, PhD, Life Sciences Writing Specialist & Eric Vaughn, Life Sciences Career Coach
- 10:30am - Heather Van Orden, Manager, URMC Fitness and Wellness Center
- 10:40am - Wrap Up by Edith M. Lord, PhD, Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education
- 10:45am - Coffee Break in the Flaum Atrium
- 11:05am - Meeting with the Dean - Edith M. Lord, PhD, Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education
- 12:00noon - Lunch in the Flaum Atrium
Program-Specific Orientation Schedules
- Schedules will be provided by your graduate program coordinator in the summer of 2017