Events sponsored by the MSTP at the University of Rochester strive to keep students at all levels of training involved in both the clinical and research aspects of the combined degrees. In addition, these events are designed to give students opportunities to showcase research in progress, make professional connections, keep in touch with friends, and stay engaged in the program.
- At the beginning of each academic year, we hold an annual retreat, where students give oral presentations on their research, present posters on life in Rochester, and address programmatic issues. The highlight of the retreat is a keynote from a distinguished local scientist.
- In the spring semester, the Medical Scientist Research Symposium provides a venue for MSTP students to present their research to the medical center community. The keynote features a renowned scientist or physician-scientist from outside of Rochester.
- Each semester, our dinner seminar series features a range of topics, including panel discussions, career guidance, scientific lectures, and technical lectures.
- Monthly, students organize programmatic social events to foster camaraderie and friendships among fellow trainees.
- During the first two years of medical school, the Scientific Reasoning in Medicine journal club keeps students abreast of current research at the URMC and exposes them to potential research mentors.