The Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at the University of Rochester is pleased to introduce our newly engineered Summer Scholars Program. In collaboration with Graduate Education and the Center for Advocacy, Community Health, Education and Diversity (CACHED), this is a unique program offered to those undergraduate individuals interested in pursuing combined MD/PhD training.
MSTP Summer Scholars application submissions for the summer of 2020 will open in late October 2019.
Graduate Education Application Portal
MSTP Summer Scholars: Program at a Glance
The MSTP Summer Scholars program is uniquely designed for undergraduate students interested in both the MD and PhD degrees in the Biological or Biomedical Sciences at the University of Rochester. A small group of trainees are selected from a large national pool of applicants to participate in this 10-week, hands-on experience. Some of the specific aspects of the program are:
- 10-week independent research project under the supervision of a faculty mentor, current MSTP graduate student, and oversight from the Program Director. You can check out the Graduate Education's full list of Program Mentors here
- 20-30 hours of clinical shadowing experience with a University of Rochester physician-scientist throughout the 10-week timeframe
- MCAT preparatory sessions in collaboration with the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program (SURF) to help you prepare for the exam
- Attendance at weekly research seminars with the Graduate Education Summer Scholars Program on a wide range of topics such as ethics, graduate school, career issues and morePe
- Opportunity to present final research results in poster form at the Graduate Education Summer Scholars Mini-Symposium, as well as to the entire MSTP community (students, faculty and mentors) at the MSTP Annual Retreat
- Stipend of $4,500 total for the summer
- Campus housing, transportation and social events with the Graduate Education Summer Scholars and Kearns Center, which give students a chance to form relationships, and to explore Rochester and nearby area attractions
- Invitation to participate in all MSTP functions, including social events and the annual Retreat
Eligibility and Application Process
Undergraduate students interested in the Summer Scholars Program are eligible to apply if the following guidelines apply
- Matriculated college sophomores and juniors from U.S. colleges and universities with strong academic backgrounds
- US Citizens and permanent residents
- GPA of at least 3.0
- Interest in pursuing both a medical degree and graduate research
- Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply
- Online applications for 2020 will be open in mid-late October of 2019. To apply, view, and/or edit your application, please visit the Graduate Education online application portal
- **Only applications that specify the MD/PhD Program as a program of interest will be reviewed for the MSTP Summer Scholars Program. In addition, it is suggested to express your interest in the MD/PhD combined degree in your personal statement.
- Two letters of recommendation and a copy of your transcript must be included (unofficial is okay)
- Early applications are encouraged, as applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
- Preliminary application deadline of February 1st (additional documents accepted through February)
- Program dates for 2020 are May 26, 2020 - July 31, 2020 (10 weeks)
Other Useful Information and Links
The MSTP Summer Scholars Program is a collaborative effort, facilitated through many different departments. You can find more information about the program through Graduate Education website:
Any questions about the MSTP Summer Scholars Program may be directed to the MSTP Administrator, Alysha Taggart.