Funding and Housing Details
- Each summer program offers a stipend of $647 per week.
- Housing will be provided on campus for 10 weeks (if needed) at no charge.
- Parking is available for those students interested in commuting or having a car on the premises.
- Luncheons, select group trips to area attractions and various social activities will be provided at no charge to summer
- Travel funding is provided for students who are outside of the Rochester regional area.
Scholars traveling from outside of the Rochester local area, will reside on campus at the University of Rochester. The University
provides shuttle bus service for students that need weekend transportation. Roommate assignments are announced via email
in early May (no co-ed assignments). On-campus housing costs are covered by the program.
- A laundry facility is located in the building.
- You will need to bring your own linens - sheets to fit an extra-long twin bed, a pillow, blanket and towels.
- Kitchens are available but you will need to bring your own plate, bowl, cup, silverware and basic cooking items and utensils, if you plan to cook.
- The dorms are not air conditioned; you may want to bring or buy a fan.
- Smoking and pets are not permitted in any of the University’s housing facilities. The University of Rochester Medical Center is a Smoke Free environment. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on Medical Center Grounds, including parking lots.
- University Transportation Services provides campus shuttle bus service for students through the Rochester Transit Service.
- A University ID is required to ride these shuttles at no charge.
- The Goergen Athletic Center, which features an 11,000-square-foot fitness/weight facility, will be available for summer student use.
Recommended Summer Housing Items to Bring
- Bed linens are NOT provided. Bring sheets to fit an extra-long twin bed, a pillow, blanket, and towels.
- There is NO summer meal plan offered for non-UR students. Each floor in the dorm has a kitchen; however, they will not contain dishes or any other utensils. You may want to bring a plates, bowls, cups, silverware, and basic cooking items such as a pots and pans.
- Each participant in need of Summer Housing will have a micro/fridge (microwave and compact refrigerator combo) in their assigned room.
- Rochester’s summer weather fluctuates between the 60s and 90s, so bring clothing suitable for both warmer and cooler temperatures. Packing an umbrella is a good idea.
- Unfortunately, the dorm is NOT air-conditioned so you need to bring or buy a fan if needed.
- NO pets are allowed in the dorm.
If you cannot bring some of these items with you, don’t worry! Grocery stores, Wegmans, Target and Wal-Mart are located within a short drive or shuttle bus ride from the dorm.
The Summer Scholars participant Information will be updated in the spring. The following links provide information that should be helpful to you as you prepare for the summer. Please review this information carefully! Feel free to contact us if you have questions or concerns. We are here to assist you!
Driving Directions to River Campus