Living in Rochester
What We Do for Fun: Living in Rochester
If you’re unfamiliar with the City of Rochester, you may be wondering what it’s like to live here. Rochester is located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, just north of the beautiful Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. Rochester is a stimulating and progressive metropolitan community of 1.1 million people.
Simply put, Rochester is a delightfully small "big city," with many of the benefits and few of the disadvantages of an urban center.
There is always something to do in the area, including:
- Over 140 festivals and events
- Over 12,000 acres of parkland
- Over 60 public golf courses
- Over 100 wineries, breweries and distilleries
- Camping and water sports of all kinds, as well as downhill and cross-country skiing
- Rochester Red Wings baseball, Rochester Americans hockey, Buffalo Bills football, Knighthawks lacrosse, golf tournaments and Watkins Glen car racing
- Driving distance to Niagara Falls and Letchworth State Park - the Grand Canyon of the East
There's a reason in every season to visit Rochester. Discover Rochester, NY year round and enjoy our thriving city. From Rochester's wide ranging culinary scene to visiting one of the many festivals Rochester hosts or even stopping by the mall to explore a shopper’s paradise, you’re sure to find something to love!
Housing & Transportation
Locating housing is usually high on the list of priorities of incoming medical students. Check out the Housing & Transportation information for more information on the different neighborhoods around Rochester. To gain insightful information on housing and locations talk to other students and people who have first-hand knowledge of the different neighborhoods as well as the commute.
You are required to have a car at URMC, transportation. Depending upon where preceptors are located you may be within walking distance or up to 45 minutes away.
Restaurants & Other Services
Explore our ever-growing list of restaurants, services, stores, entertainment outlets, and so on that you’ll likely become familiar with during your time here in Rochester. We’ve scoured the city to assemble a more comprehensive list of restaurants and other services, but we still encourage you to go out and explore.