Advancement of the Medical Center
Who we are
- URMC is an educational innovator, a biomedical research powerhouse, and a destination for high-quality care.
- It includes the School of Medicine and Dentistry, School of Nursing, Eastman Institute for Oral Health, and UR Medicine's1 anchors—Strong Memorial Hospital2 and the UR Medical Faculty Group.
- Our 3,000 URMC researchers study everything from cancer and heart disease to Parkinson's and pandemic influenza to autism and Alzheimer's.
1. This includes Highland Hospital, Thompson Health, Jones Memorial Hospital, Noyes Health, St. James Mercy, and numerous other outpatient, emergency, urgent care, surgical, and long-term care facilities.
2. This includes Golisano Children's Hospital, Wilmot Cancer Institute, and Flaum Eye Institute.
We are highly selective—only four percent of applicants each year are accepted into the School of Medicine and Dentistry
The School of Nursing offers more than two dozen undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate degree programs
More than 3 million outpatient visits, 192,000 emergency room visits, and 64,000 inpatient discharges occur each year across UR Medicine
Every year, more than 85,000 children from 17 counties in New York come to Golisano Children's Hospital for care
Research faculty attract external funding totaling nearly $240 million annually
We hold top 20 rankings in National Institutes of Health funding in neurology, orthopaedics, public health science—which includes environmental medicine, pediatrics, microbiology and immunology, and surgery
- We are nationally known for our holistic approach to educating outstanding physicians and nurses.
- We have made breakthroughs in treatments and vaccines that prevent cervical cancer and bacterial pneumonias, enable premature babies to breathe, and that have virtually eradicated childhood bacterial meningitis.
- We have made some of the world's most important and long-lasting discoveries to treat and prevent heart disease.
- We are poised to draw on chis rich history to transform health care and lead research to help people around the world lead healthier and happier lives.