Like our skilled nursing services, UR Medicine Home Care provides a variety of licensed rehabilitation services to patients right in their homes. Our highly experienced therapists provide care following a multi-disciplinary team approach. Our goal is to help patients become independent again while ensuring their safety.
Patients who may benefit from the program include those who have had:
- Total hip or total knee replacements
- Orthopedic surgery
- Cerebral vascular accidents
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neurological disorders
- Debility from lengthy illness or hospitalization
Home Care Services Area
- Acute or chronic back and joint pain
- Multiple falls
Types of Therapies Offered
- Physical Therapists provide therapeutic procedures to help develop, maintain, and restore a patient’s maximum mobility and function throughout life. This includes providing treatment in circumstances where movement and function are hindered by age, injury, disease, or environment. Programs may include range-of-motion, strength, balance, coordination, endurance, weight-bearing, pain relief, and functional ability exercises.
- Occupational Therapists help patients of all ages regain independence and their ability to perform activities of daily living, such as dressing, bathing, grooming, meal preparation, and toileting. In addition, therapists assess and instruct patients in the usage of various adaptive equipment in order to maximize self-sufficiency and promote safety. Occupational therapists help patients not only to improve their basic motor functions and reasoning abilities, but also to compensate for permanent loss-of-function. Our goal is to help patients live independent, productive, and satisfying lives.
- Speech Therapists provide services to increase patients’ ability to achieve functional and speech independence, to improve oral motor functioning, and ensure families’ and caregivers’ understanding, interaction, and participation. Our therapists also evaluate and treat individuals with swallowing difficulties and treatment of cognitive/memory impairments for safe living at home.
- Medical Social Workers provide support identifying community resources, planning and coordination of additional services. They can assist with applications and financial aid, counsel life-style changes and provide crisis interventions.
- Registered Dietitians assess a patient’s dietary needs, educates about nutrition issues and promotes better nutrition through education, demonstration and supplemental resources.
What the Rehabilitation Program Offers
The Rehabilitation Program offers:
- Home safety assessment
- Case management of complex orthopedic and neurological patients
- Modalities for pain control
- Progressive activity and exercise programs
- An individualized home care plan
- Ongoing communication with other health care providers
Other Rehabilitation Care
Neurological rehab brings together more than 50 skilled physical, occupational, and speech-language pathologists. Each has outstanding home care experience and an average of 10 years in this field. Many have advanced education and certifications in practice specialties.
We have extensive experience and specialization with patients with neurological diagnoses, including:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
Joint Replacement Rehabilitation
Your home can be the best place to recover from knee or hip replacement surgery. UR Medicine Home Care specializes in exceptional home rehab for successful joint replacement recovery. We work closely with your orthopedic surgeon and hospital to provide education as part of pre-surgery classes, expert discharge planning from our home care coordinators, as well as a continuum of the quality rehab that began at the hospital.
Focus on Falls
Our Focus on Falls program seeks to reduce your risk for a fall. Upon referral from your doctor, we will administer a Fall Risk Assessment and incorporate evidence-based best practices into your individualized care plan. Focus on Falls program goals include:
- Reducing the risk of falls and injuries
- Improving your quality of life by enabling you to stay at home
- Quickly regaining safe mobility
Many of our rehabilitation services are covered by Medicare, Medicaid, HMO’s and private insurance companies.