Giving the Gift of Home Delivered Meals
Comfort begins by staying in familiar surroundings and being cared for by caregivers who have become like family. At Meals On Wheels, our participants always come first. We strive to improve health and independence to all – regardless of their ability to pay.
Often in our program, participants do not have the ability to pay for service. Contributions and donations in memory of loved ones assist us in providing a hot, nutritious meal to everyone, especially those who cannot pay.
Meals On Wheels Service Area
Help continue this tradition for all who need it through the Visiting Nurse Foundation, a tax-exempt, non-profit organization.
By volunteering a few hours of your time, you can make a difference in the lives of those who need you in the community. Here’s how:
- Meals On Wheels Driver/Server – Volunteer to deliver hot, nutritious meals to the homebound, elderly, or ill. Meals are delivered Monday through Friday between the hours of 10:30 am and 1:30 pm. Volunteers bring the meal to the recipient's door with a friendly hello and a check on the participant's well-being.
- Adopt-A-Route – Meals On Wheels has an Adopt-A-Route program, which is especially ideal for a group who would like to share a weekly lunchtime commitment by adopting a route. Many local businesses, community agencies, and church groups are involved. With a team of 10 or more members, each individual is scheduled to deliver about once a month, or less frequently, depending on the size of the group.
- Seasonal Substitute – You can volunteer to fill in for regular volunteers who are away during winter, summer or for an extended period of time.
- Route Captain – Captains schedule drivers and servers for assigned routes and keep a monthly calendar. At the end of the month, captains report volunteer times to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Clerical Assistants – Volunteers work within UR Medicine Home Care to assist departments with a variety of clerical duties, such as mailings, data entry, customer service or special projects.
- Kitchen – Duties may include meal preparation and packaging and cleaning. Need to be available Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:15 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
For more information, call (585) 274-4385 or email us here.