American Heart Association Courses
Welcome to the American Heart Association Training page! Below is an outline of the courses that we currently offer.
Our Training Center is one of a few in the Rochester area that has active clinicians as instructors, with experience in both pre-hospital and in-hospital environments. Our classes are also interdisciplinary, comprised of physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc. all working together in the same group. Annually, we train over 2,000 people, and we are looking forward to helping you obtain your certification!
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Instructor Led
- Teaches the healthcare provider how to recognize patients experiencing a life threatening cardiovascular emergency and manage a patient in sudden cardiac arrest.
- Integrates both didactic and hands on learning.
- Requires students to pass a written evaluation and a MegaCode skills station for successful completion.
- Costs: $349 (Provider); $320 (Renewal), paid by cash, check, credit card, money order, or 312 Requisition (no preceptor or other coupons/vouches accepted).
- Register for this ACLS Instructor Led course.
If your Provider certification has expired, you will need to enroll in the Provider Course rather than the Renewal Course, as there is no longer a grace period. Please check with your employer to determine if ACLS certification is required in your department prior to registration.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Interactive HeartCode
- An interactive self-directed learning program which completes all cognitive and psychomotor requirements for the American Heart Association ACLS Course.
- Interactive system is designed for healthcare professionals (physicians, nurses, EMS personnel, etc.)
- Once enrolled in the course, students have 60 days to complete all required course content and testing; if the course is not completed within that time, students will need to re-enroll and re-pay the registration fee.
- Interactive system is available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week; estimated time to complete the course is 5-8 hours.
- Cost: $200 for the course, plus $42 for the optional manual, paid only by credit card (no preceptor or other coupons/vouchers accepted).
- Once your registration has been processed by CEL, you will receive an email with your instructions attached. Please allow 1-3 business days for this to arrive.
- Register for this ACLS HeartCode course.
Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Led
- Teaches the skills of CPR for victims of all ages (including ventilation with a barrier device, a bag-valve-mask device, and oxygen, use of an AED, and relief of a foreign body airway obstruction.
- Course is designed for healthcare providers who care for patients in a wide variety of settings, both in and out of hospital including physicians, nurses, paramedics, EMTs, respiratory therapists, physical and occupational therapists, physician assistants, residents, fellows, medical or nursing students, aides, medical or nursing assistants, and other allied health personnel.
- Cost: $70 for the course, plus $16 for the AHA BLS manual paid by cash, check, credit card, money order, or 312 Requisition (no preceptor or other coupons/vouchers accepted). First or Third Year Medical students at the UofR will have the course fee waived but are responsible for the cost of the manual.
- Register for this BLS Instructor Led course.
Basic Life Support (BLS) Interactive HeartCode
Pediatric Advanced (PALS) Instructor Led
- Designed for healthcare providers who are involved in the care of critically ill children.
- Curriculum consists of both didactic sessions and skill stations and is designed around the Evaluate, Identify, and Intervene model.
- Requires students to pass a written evaluation and 2 Psycho-motor skills evaluation stations for successful completion.
- Costs: $369 (Provider); $329 (Renewal); paid by cash, check, credit card, money order, or 312 Requisition (no preceptor or other coupons/vouchers accepted).
- Register for this PALS Instructor Led course.
If your Provider certification has expired, you will need to enroll in the 2 Day Provider Course rather than the Renewal Course, as there is no longer a grace period. Please check with your employer to determine if PALS certification is required in your department prior to registration.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the Association.
For additional information about AHA programming, please contact David Leven, American Heart Association Training Center Coordinator (585) 275-7411.