How To Apply
Applying to Our Program
Prospective MFM Fellows are invited to interview based on the information provided in the ERAS application—including the personal statement, letters of recommendation, scholastic accomplishments, and USMLE/Complex scores. CREOG scores are not required for application.
MFM fellowship program applications will be accepted only through the Association of American Medical College's (AAMC) Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) for all applications.
All fellows are expected to complete an on-site or web-based interview.
It is the policy of this program to select the most qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, creed, color, national origin, handicap, age, or sexual orientation. All applicants must participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The program follows the guidelines of the NRMP and all applicants must register with the NRMP.
Important Information Regarding ACGME, Board Eligibility, and GME Policies at URMC
- At this time, we are unable to accommodate J-1 or H1B visa status applicants within the MFM fellowship program.
- A sample fellowship contract and other benefit information can be viewed on the website of our Graduate Medical Education Office.
- Board certification is a separate process from fellowship training and has additional requirements. Per our GME/ACGME requirements, we are only able to accept candidates that are able to become ABOG board certified after fellowship. Typically this means candidates that have completed their residency at an ACGME-accredited residency. Please review this for further explanations from the ACGME on who is eligible for board certification. There is also further information on the ABOG website.
Deadlines & Interview Offers
This year we will be participating in the SMFM "single offer" date of 5/18/2020. Together with MFM programs across the country, we will plan to offer the first round of interviews on a single date to allow applicants to better cluster their travel and plan their acceptances. Therefore, we ask that applications be completed by 5/1 for committee review.
- 5/1: Applications should be complete in ERAS.
- 5/18: First round of interviews are offered. Deadline of 5/26 to accept interviews.
- 5/26: Additional round of interview offers with deadline of 6/5 to accept interviews.
- 6/5-6/30: Rolling interview offers.
Interview Process & Information
Selection of applicants for interviews will be made after a review of submitted ERAS applications which will be electronically accepted by our program. Applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified by email and details regarding the interview day will also follow via email.
Interviews will be conducted June - August for a start date the following July.
We use Thalamus, an innovative online platform created to better facilitate the interview scheduling process. We ask that you check your email frequently.
If the dates offered do not work for your clinical schedules—please email us, as we can typically accommodate additional dates with advanced notice.
The Interview Day - 2020 COVID-19 Pandemic Adjustment
In light of the global COVID-19 pandemic, we will complete all of our interviews via Zoom-based interviewing. Typically we would offer you an on-site interview to meet us, interview with the faculty, and tour our facilities. Unfortunately, due to the 2020 global pandemic, most travel has been eliminated and in-person events are not appropriate.
Therefore, we will work to have 3-4 Zoom days where you will virtually meet us, and have an opportunity to get to know us. The interview day(s) start and end times will vary based on the day of the interview and the needs of the applicants, but the process will typically be 3-4 hours in length. You will be scheduled to meet with faculty members and have a group chat with the fellows where you will have an opportunity to learn more about our program and Rochester.
If there are specific fellow areas of interest, the schedule will be adjusted to allow for meetings with faculty who have similar interests. Please let us know if there is a faculty member or team member that is of particular interest to your future plans, and we will do our best to arrange this during your interview day.
If you need adjustments to the schedule to accommodate childcare, breastfeeding/pumping, etc. please let us know when planning your interview day. We will assure that you have appropriate time built into the day.
Please direct all inquiries to Isabella Vazquez, Fellowship Coordinator, by email or by calling our academic office at (585) 275-7480.
University of Rochester Medical Center
601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 668
Rochester, NY 14642