PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program
About the Program
The PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency is a 12-month, full-time curriculum that offers the experience of providing patient care in many facets of community pharmacy. It is these diverse settings that will provide the essential elements needed to mold a well-rounded clinical pharmacist. This intensive training involves activities in a wide variety of practice settings, including:
- Designing and managing drug treatment regimens for clinic patients in internal medicine in addition to other.
- Monitoring drug therapy and collaborating with providers to optimize patients' drug regimens in an ambulatory setting.
- Providing education, discussing drug regimens, and counseling on adherence.
- Participating in pharmacy practice management activities to broaden the resident’s understanding of the role of pharmacy and its integration into the healthcare system.
- The residents will explore specialty areas of pharmacy such as solid organ transplant, transitions of care, specialty pharmacy and psychiatry.
Pharmacists completing the residency at the University of Rochester Medical Center will have gained the skills necessary to be competent and confident practitioners of pharmaceutical care for patients in the community and ambulatory care settings. The resident will function as a key member of the health care team and be accountable for achieving optimal drug therapy outcomes for their patients. These pharmacists will develop the skills necessary to become valuable providers of education on medication therapy-related topics to other health care professionals, patients and the community. The resident will demonstrate professional maturity by developing and following a personal philosophy of excellence, monitoring his or her own performance and exhibiting a commitment to the profession of pharmacy.
The PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency is accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) jointly with the American Pharmacists Association (APhA). Its goals, objectives, and evaluation procedures are consistent with the goals and objectives established by ASHP.
Pharmacists completing the PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency at UR Medicine, Strong Memorial Hospital will gain the skills necessary to be competent and confident practitioner of pharmaceutical care and an essential member of the health care team. Our Program will prepare pharmacists for a patient care position in a community or ambulatory setting, an adjunct faculty position or to pursue PGY-2 training.
Allison Trawinski, PharmD, BCACP, MBA
Director | PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program
Specialty Pharmacy Manager
University of Rochester Medical Center
601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 617
Rochester, NY 14642
Phone: (585) 273-4767
Fax: (585) 276-1089