Two-Factor Authentication: What You Need to Do
Community partners and their staff are required to verify their identity a second time when accessing ePartner or eRecord, or when connecting to the URMC network through VPN. This two-factor authentication technology is very similar to technology being used by banking, credit card, and financial institutions, and requires you to enroll in a service where you indicate a method to verify your identity.
URMC is partnering with Duo Security to provide the verification technology. You’ll need to enroll with Duo Security, and provide at least one point of contact that is available to you when you connect to URMC systems remotely: mobile phone, office or home phone, or tablet.
If you do not enroll, you will be prevented from accessing eRecord/ePartner until you enroll.
Once you complete the enrollment, you will be prompted to verify your identity each time you connect to ePartner or eRecord. You will have the option to skip the secondary authentication step for up to 60 days (see below for more details).
How Do I Enroll?
- Log in to ePartner/eRecord as you usually do, and click on the “Two Factor Enrollment” icon:
- On the right side of the screen enter the user name and password you use to login to ePartner or eRecord.
- Select URMC-SH from the Domain list if it does not already appear in that field. Click the Submit button.
- Read through the information on the screen and click Start setup to enroll.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to enroll a device. For assistance, you may access an instruction guide by clicking the “Need help?” link.
ISD recommends enrolling your work phone number to establish your account, then add other points of contact (mobile, home phone, tablet) that will be accessible when and where you connect remotely.
- Click “Enroll another device” and add at least one other device (home or other landline phone, tablet*, or mobile phone).
- When all devices are enrolled, click Done.
- Authenticate your device via the Authentication Prompt. Select the device and method to complete this step.
*Apple iPad users will need to install the iPhone app from Duo Security. A dedicated iPad app is not available in the iTunes store.
After You Enroll in Two-Factor Authorization
You will be prompted to authenticate each time you attempt to connect to ePartner or eRecord, AND, each time a new computer or device is being used to connect. For an example of what you’ll experience during authentication, please click below for a video demonstration:
Extending Your Authentication to 60 Days
When you authenticate your login, you may select the option to Remember this device for 60 days. This will allow that computer, tablet, or other device’s browser to be remembered for 60 days and skip the added authentication step when you sign in.
You will be prompted for your second authentication again at the end of 60 days. You may select the extension option again at that time.
Contact the ISD Help Desk at (585) 275-3200.