Community Advisory Council
The Community Advisory Council guides the work of the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities, ensuring the priorities and activities contribute to the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act of 2000 (the DD Act) that promotes independence, productivity, self-determination, and inclusion in all aspects of life in our community.
We invite people with disabilities, their families, and community agencies to join and play an important role in how we develop, execute, and evaluate the plans and activities of the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities. Applications for membership are accepted on a rolling basis.
For more information, contact Jennifer Ward at (585) 276-5915.
The Community Advisory Council serves as a bridge to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, their families, and community stakeholders who provide services and supports. We engage others to become involved with the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities and the broader disability community, and represent the diverse perspectives of people with disabilities and their families living in Western NY. We support the vision, mission, and values of the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities by providing information and advice on areas of need through consultation with leadership regarding the 5-year strategic plan.
Role and Responsibilities
- Help the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities develop strategic plans and goals
- Help disseminate information and resources
- Attend and participate in scheduled meetings
- Participate in communications, social media platforms, and surveys to encourage on-going communication and share updates and news
- Become informed and keep abreast of the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities mission, services, policies, and programs
- Identify others that can help advance the work of the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities and recruit additional Community Advisory Council members