Advance 2 Apprenticeship
Advance 2 Apprenticeship is an employment initiative though the Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities to improve access to apprenticeship programs for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) within the manufacturing industry. The project is a collaboration with Mohawk Valley Community College (MVCC), Manufacturers Association of Central New York (MACNY), Center for Workforce Development at Monroe 2–Orleans BOCES (CWD) and Rochester Technology & Manufacturing Association (RTMA).
Courses at MVCC start in Fall 2023. Courses at CWD start in Spring 2024.
Please contact us for more information.
Ready to Advance 2 Apprenticeship?
- Are you 18 years old or older?
- Are you comfortable with applied math and computers?
- Do you like working with your hands and creating things?
- Willing to learn to earn by participating in pre-apprenticeship courses?
You may be interested in exploring careers in Advanced Manufacturing!
Hear from industry professionals working within their chosen career just like you!
Advance 2 Apprenticeship Promo Video
Advance 2 Apprenticeship offers pre-apprenticeship courses in Manufacturing for people with and without disabilities who can benefit from additional supports to succeed.
- Programs utilize Universal Design and offer wrap around supports.
- Obtain Support to Develop New Skills for a Career in High-Wage In-Demand trades with Opportunities for Advancement!
Mohawk Valley Community College (MVCC), Enrolling for Fall 2023
- BASIC MANUFACTURING: Learn applied mathematics, hand tool usage, safety, part tolerancing and CNC basics.
Center for Workforce Development (CWD), Enrolling for Spring 2024
- MACHINING: Learn to operate machine tools and set- up tools, such as milling machines, grinders, lathes, and drilling machines.
- INDUSTRIAL OPERATOR: Learn to set-up, operate, monitor, and control production equipment. Efficiently and safely manage materials.
- WELDER: Learn to review blueprints, cut metal into the appropriate shapes, and smooth molten metal to remove creases.
- Pre-apprenticeship classroom instruction hours will align with related instruction within a registered apprenticeship.
- Students will have supports available in and outside of the educational environment to support both learning and employment success.
- Graduates of Advance 2 Apprenticeship may have opportunity to earn a Certified Manufacturing Associate and the National Career Readiness Certificate.
- After successful program completion, each student will have the opportunity to interview for manufacturing positions that may include:
- Production Operator/Assembler
- Machine Operator
- Inspection Technician
Developmental Disabilities Planning Council:
University of Rochester Medical Center