Adult Volunteer Program
The spring session is closed. We will begin taking calls the week of August 12 for fall 2019 sessions.
Typically, the largest varieties of volunteer opportunities are available in the spring or fall. (You are considered an adult if you are 18 years of age or older and not enrolled in classes for college credit.) We are fortunate to have hundreds of local high school and college students volunteering with us over the summer months. To allow them these opportunities, we will offer adult volunteer positions again in the fall.
- Attend a group information session. Our next available group sessions will begin in January 2019. If interested in attending a session, please call the Friends' office beginning the week of December 10, 2018.
- Schedule a personal interview with one of our volunteer coordinators. You will learn about available volunteer opportunities at this meeting.
- Participate in a health appointment with Occupational Medicine. (There is no charge for this, nor need to schedule. All arrangements will be made for you through Friends of Strong).
- Commit to three to four hours of volunteer activities per week for a minimum of one year.
- Able to communicate clearly and fluently in English.
- After the group, personal and health appointments, you also may be required to attend an orientation session for the department in which you are assigned.
- You agree to submit to a background check and any additional requirements that are mandated by the University of Rochester.
Frequently Asked Questions for Adult Volunteers
- How do I get started?
- Contact our receptionist at (585) 275-2420 and ask when our next group information session will be scheduled.
- I’m retired now. Can I volunteer more than three to four hours per week?
- That would depend on the number of volunteers and opportunities we have available at any given time.
- Can I volunteer any time I want?
- Volunteer shifts may vary depending on the type of position we match you with. Currently, most placements occur during weekday hours, Monday through Friday. Occasionally we have evening and weekend positions available.
- What kinds of activities will I be doing?
- We offer a variety of activities in hospital departments and units. Some of those are Pediatrics, Patient Discharge, and the Gift Shop. All of our positions involve contact with patients on some level.
- I have heard about hospital volunteers who “cuddle” premature infants and newborns. How can I do that?
- These openings are called NICU Volunteers (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) and are so popular that we rarely have openings. Please check our website regularly to see if the needs have changed.
- I just had a physical. Why do I need a health appointment?
- Your safety and the safety of our patients and staff is our first priority. The only way we can assure that is when you have been seen by our staff at Occupational Medicine. The will also confirm that your vaccinations and other health-related requirements are up-to-date.
- If I don’t find the placement I want, can I “shadow” someone?
- Unfortunately, Friends of Strong does not handle shadowing situations. You must contact a department directly to arrange a shadowing opportunity.