Adult Volunteer Program
Program Update (June 6, 2020): Our next opportunity for adults to volunteer will be this fall. Please call 585-275-2420 beginning Aug. 10 to sign up for an information session.
Typically, the greatest variety of volunteer opportunities becomes available in spring or fall. (You are considered an adult if you are 18 years of age or older and not enrolled in classes for college credit.) We are fortunate to have hundreds of local high school and college students volunteer with us during the summer months. To allow them these opportunities, we will offer adult volunteer positions again in the fall.
- Attend a group information session. Our next available group sessions will begin in August 2020. If interested in attending a session, please call us at (585) 275-2420 beginning on Aug. 15.
- Schedule a personal interview with one of our volunteer coordinators. You will learn about available volunteer opportunities at this meeting.
- Participate in a health appointment with Occupational Medicine. (There is no charge for this. All arrangements will be made for you through Friends of Strong).
- Commit to volunteer three or four hours per week for a minimum of one year.
- You agree to submit to a background check and any additional requirements that are mandated by the University of Rochester.
- Able to communicate clearly and fluently in English.
- After the group info session, personal interview and health appointments, you also may be required to attend an orientation for the department you are assigned.
Frequently Asked Questions for Adult Volunteers
- How do I get started?
- Contact our secretary at (585) 275-2420 and ask when our next group information session will be scheduled.
- I’m retired now. Can I volunteer more than three to four hours per week?
- That would depend on the number of volunteers and opportunities we have available at any given time.
- Can I volunteer any time I want?
- Volunteer shifts may vary depending on the type of position we match you with. Currently, most placements occur during weekday hours, Monday through Friday. Occasionally we have evening and weekend positions available.
- What kinds of activities will I be doing?
- We offer a variety of activities in hospital departments and units. Some of those are Pediatrics, Patient Discharge, and the Gift Shop. All of our positions involve contact with patients on some level.
- I have heard about hospital volunteers who “cuddle” premature infants and newborns. How can I do that?
- These openings are called NICU Volunteers (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) and are so popular that we rarely have openings. Please check our website regularly to see if the needs have changed.
- I just had a physical. Why do I need a health appointment?
- Your safety and the safety of our patients and staff is our first priority. The only way we can assure that is when you have been seen by our staff at Occupational Medicine. The will also confirm that your vaccinations and other health-related requirements are up-to-date.
- If I don’t find the placement I want, can I “shadow” someone?
- Unfortunately, Friends of Strong does not handle shadowing situations. You must contact a department directly to arrange a shadowing opportunity.