APP Fellowship in Cardiac Critical Care
Applications for the 2023-24 fellowship class will be accepted, starting on Dec 15, 2022.
The Cardiac Critical Care APP Fellowship at Strong Memorial Hospital is a 12 month post-graduate specialty training program for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. The program is approximately 75% clinical and 25% didactic and includes immersive experiences in all facets of inpatient Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery.
The APP Fellowship includes a core program of cardiac critical care and also several specialty rotations.
- Cardiac ICU
- Medical ICU
- Neuro-Medicine ICU
- Cardiac Cath and Electrophysiology Labs
- Cardiac Surgery OR
- Advanced Heart Failure (Transplant and LVAD)
- Cardiac Surgery Step-Down
- Multiple Simulation Lab Experiences
- Cadaver Lab
- Elective Rotations
- Immersive Mechanical Circulatory Support Device Training (LVAD, RVAD, VA / VV / RVAD ECMO, Impella, IABP)
- Invasive Procedures Training
APP Fellowship Benefits
- APP Fellows are offered full employee benefits including CME allowance and paid vacation.
- The Fellowship program includes immersive device specific training on:
- VA / VV / RVAD ECMO to include access for cannulation and pump management.
- Impella (all types)
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump
- HeartMate 2, 3, and HeartWare durable LVADs
Upon successful completion of the program, Fellows will be offered full-time medical staff positions in the UR Cardiac ICU.
- NPs require a Master’s degree (or pending) as an Acute Care NP, an active/pending NYS licensure in good standing and current/pending national certification as an NP; min of 3 years of experience as an RN (strongly prefer 5) with at least one year of leadership experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- PAs require completion of an ARC-PA approved Physician Assistant program, New York State licensure in good standing/pending and current/pending certification by the NCCPA.
- APP Fellows will demonstrate clinical competence, superior verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal effectiveness and customer relations skills, computer competence and must have an active desire to learn. The APP will participate in the education of learners (students and new employees), using clinical learning experiences, knowledge sharing and skill training.
- A complete application includes a resume, cover letter, 3 letters of recommendation from a clinical educator or colleague (APP or physician preferred), and official PA or NP transcripts.
The application deadline for the 2023-2024 fellowship year is April 1, 2023, and interviews will be conducted in early spring.
About UR Medicine and UR Cardiac Care
- Serves over 100,000 patients annually from the greater Rochester area.
- Upstate NY’s (including Albany, Plattsburgh, Syracuse, and Buffalo) only quaternary Cardiac Shock referral and Heart Transplant Center, and is a CMS Center of Excellence for LVADs.
- NP/PA Fellows will work with faculty with a wide variety of expertise in Cardiac Critical Care, Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery. Fellows will be on the cutting edge of health care delivery as they train to work within the University of Rochester Medical Center.
- UR Cardiac Care CICU APPs are the primary covering providers for all CICU patients and respond to all non-CICU rapid responses for the entire UR Heart Center.
Goal of the Fellowship Program
- It is anticipated that the fellows will show clinical growth, improved clinical confidence and increased preparedness to care for patients in all of these settings, by the completion of the fellowship.
- Our post graduate NP/PA Fellowship will provide additional skills training including invasive procedures including Central Line Placement, Arterial Line Placement, IABP Manipulation and Removal, Drain and Wire removal, etc.
- This will be an intensive clinical program which will prepare NP's and PA's to meet the needs of culturally diverse and clinically complex patients that are typical of the CICU ranging from rural to inner-city patients.
- Fellows will be employees of URMC and will comply with all patient care policies.
- Applications due April 1, 2023
- Interview process late March to early April 2023
- Application acceptance notification April 15, 2023
- Program start date: August 2023 (flexible dates due to licensing)
- 12 month program
- Fellows are expected to remain for an additional 12 months, after program completion as CICU staff providers (upon successful completion of the 12 month program).
- Competitive Fellowship salary
- 403b Plans and employer direct contribution (not a match)
- Health insurance coverage
- Dental insurance coverage
- Life insurance policy
- Disability insurance coverage
- 5 weeks vacation/year
- 1 week CME time/year
- $1200 CME annually
- $300 book stipend