URMC / Department of Surgery / Education / Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship Program in Surgery
Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship Program in Surgery
Surgical Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship Program
Applications for the 2023-2024 fellowship class will be accepted starting on January 3rd, 2023.
The Surgical Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Fellowship Program at the University of Rochester Medicine Center is a 1 year post-graduate specialty training program for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. The program is 75% clinical and 25% didactic, including on-line and in person education sessions.
The APP Fellowship will provide additional skills, training, and mentorship experience in the various surgical specialties at our institution. This is an intensive clinical program which will prepare NPs and PAs to meet the needs of culturally diverse and clinically complex patients that are typical for our pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative surgical specialties. Fellows will work with surgeons and advanced practice providers with a wide variety of expertise in surgery. Additionally, the APP fellows will be on the cutting edge of health care delivery as they train to work within the University of Rochester Medical Center and its affiliates*. It is anticipated that the fellows will show clinical growth, improved clinical confidence, and increased preparedness to care for patients in all of these locations, by the completion of the fellowship.
The APP Fellowship includes a core program including pre and post-operative care and also several specialty rotations meant to enhance surgical provider education, including rotations in numerous surgical sub-specialties such as emergency general surgery, thoracic/foregut, surgical oncology, trauma, colorectal surgery, among others. Clinical rotations within this fellowship include experiences in the ambulatory and inpatient settings along with hands on training in imaging, nutrition, wound care, and more. Please note, this fellowship does not focus on operating room experience and OR experiences are limited to mostly observation.
APP Fellowship Benefits
- APP Fellows are offered full employee benefits including CME allowance and paid vacation.
- The Fellowship program includes certifications such as:
- Upon successful completion of the program, Fellows will potentially be offered a full-time APP position within the division of surgery.
- Fellowship applicants should be new graduate or early-career nurse practitioners or physician assistants with a strong interest in surgery. More experienced NPs or PAs from another specialty will still be considered if they apply.
- Applicants must be license-eligible in New York State.
- A complete application includes a resume, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation from a clinical educator and faculty member.
The application deadline for the 2023-2024 fellowship year is April 14th, 2023 and interviews will be conducted in mid-April of 2023. Notification letters will be sent no later than May 5th, 2023.