Animal Use Protocols
Animal Use Protocols must be submitted on line using Topaz Enterprise—beginning January 1, 2010, all new submissions of animal protocols and all 36-month reviews, must be submitted in this format. The Topaz System can be accessed by web browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) from either a Mac or PC.
TOPAZ training is mandatory—all faculty and staff must attend a TOPAZ training session and obtain an account. New faculty members who are transferring to the University must also submit protocols on line (individual training can be arranged via telephone if necessary). If a PI wishes to have a lab manager or administrative staff member given privileges to create and edit, or modify an on line protocol they must also attend a training session. Accounts are set up in conjunction with training sessions.
If you have any questions about this or want to schedule TOPAZ training, contact the UCAR office at (585) 275-1693.
Important to remember when working in TOPAZ:
- Save often
- Mac users should use FireFox
- Some links within the protocol are broken. We are working to correct this. All UCAR policies are available on the Policies web page.
TOPAZ Quick Reference Sheet 2018
- general information
- creating an original protocol, protocols returned for modification, amending a protocol, 36 Month Reviews, Interim APRs and adding a New Grant.
UCAR Modification to Add Faculty, Staff and Students.
Dean's Research Advisory Committee (DRAC) Merit Review Instructions
Grant Submission Instructions
Using Animals in Research: Grant Application and Protocol Review
Checklist for Submitting a PHS Grant Application When Using Laboratory Animals
Other agencies and organizations may have other rules about submission of the verification of approval. It is up to the investigator to determine when verification is required, and to submit forms to the UCAR office at least 60 days in advance. The office cannot provide "pending" letters until the protocol has been submitted.
- At least 60 days before you are required to submit verification of IACUC approval to the agency, submit an completed Animal Use Protocol to the UCAR office (found on our Forms page) for review.
- If the reviewers have questions, please respond as soon as possible to prevent delays in approval and subsequent funding.
- When you receive your approval letter, send it to the appropriate reviewing agency.