Golisano Children's Hospital Pediatric Practice
Part of Strong Memorial Hospital
We are the area’s largest pediatric clinic, serving over 12,000 children in the greater Rochester area. Our practice offers exceptional healthcare services for children from birth to age 21. We also treat a variety of complicated medical conditions. We have doctors who are experts in the care of asthma, ADHD, obesity, and lead poisoning.
Our practice is grouped into four teams for you to choose from. As a patient of our practice, your child will receive comprehensive and coordinated care by one of the four teams so that a consistent group of pediatricians, resident doctors, nurses, social workers, care coordinators, and receptionists care for your child. This helps our staff to better know your child and develop a partnership of mutual responsibility and trust with your whole family for the best health outcomes.
We pride ourselves on being recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Certified Patient-Centered Medical Home, which means we offer high-quality services and act as a “hub” to your child’s medical care, coordinating care across all settings.
In addition to being a full-service primary care pediatric practice, we offer a number of unique support services for patients, including:
- Real-time clinical advice: Our experienced nurses answer calls and support to our patients by providing real-time clinical advice during business hours.
- Extended hours: Appointments are available during normal business hours as well as on Wednesday evenings until 8 p.m. and on Saturday mornings from 9:00 a.m. to noon.
- Drop-in Child Care Service: If you are unable to arrange for a sitter, our Child Life program provides a free drop-in child care service exclusively for siblings of patients who are here for an appointment. Parents must show proof of appointment and sign a consent form. Children must be between 18 months and 10 years old and be in good health with no colds, fevers, or other illnesses. Space is limited to 10 children and is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. There is also a three-hour limit. The program may close for lunch or when a staff member is out ill.
- Mental Health Services: Mental Health providers are integrated into the pediatric practice for preventive parenting advice, diagnostic evaluation, and short-term counseling for acute issues.
- Telemedicine: This service enables some visits to be done at Rochester City Schools and select daycare centers, rather than having your child brought into our clinic. Certain illnesses and follow-up visits can be addressed by our trained technicians who travel to schools and gather information about your child such as blood pressure, pictures of the inside of their ears, sounds in the lungs, patient behavior, and other information the provider might need. The technician sends the information back to our practice through our secure medical record system. The doctor can diagnose your child and discuss next steps with you.
- Breastfeeding Services: The GCH Pediatric Practice fully supports breastfeeding as the best nutrition for babies. We support breastfeeding mothers with comfortable spaces, pillows, blankets and supplies at our office. Certified Lactation Counselors are available to consult with families at outpatient visits and over the phone. Outpatient appointments can be scheduled with a doctor specializing in Breastfeeding Medicine for additional support.
- Nutrition Services: We have nutritionists on-site to meet with you and your child, here in our clinic, on certain days of the week to provide assessment and nutritional counseling for children of all sizes.
- Social Work Services: We have two full-time social workers in our clinic who can help you and your family cope with stress, solve problems, and connect with supportive community resources.
- Phlebotomy: Whenever possible, our pediatric-trained technicians and nurses do blood draws in the clinic, avoiding a trip to a lab.
- Literacy Program: Doctors and Nurse Practitioners are trained through the national "Reach Out and Read" program to develop strategies for early literacy, encourage parents to read aloud to their young children, and offer age-appropriate tips. Our goal is to give an age-appropriate book to every child, age six months to five years, to take home and keep.
On-site Support Services: Golisano Children’s Hospital Pediatric Practice is nestled in the University of Rochester Medical Center, providing convenient access to radiology (X-rays), pharmacy, laboratory services, the Emergency Department and outstanding pediatricians in the following subspecialties:
Community Outreach Programs