Make Appointments & Get Care
What is Muscular Dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy refers to a group of inherited diseases of the nerves and muscles. These diseases cause weakness and wasting away of muscle tissue and can also cause the breakdown of nerve tissue.
The most common types of muscular dystrophies are:
- Becker Muscular Dystrophy (BMD)
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
- Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSH)
- Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy
UR Medicine's Treatments for Muscular Dystrophy
Our comprehensive, multidisciplinary clinic team focuses on all aspects of neuromuscular disease in adults and children, providing diagnosis and treatment using:
- Newborn screening
- Genetic confirmation
- Genetic and family counseling
- Gene therapy
- Infusion therapy
- Physical therapy
- Prevention and management of secondary symptoms and complications, including cardiac, respiratory, behavioral, endocrine (glands and hormones), and bone health
- Access to clinical trials
- Coordination of care with schools and other providers
No Longer a Death Sentence - Battling Duchenne MD
What Sets Us Apart?
Our team of experts specialize in what’s needed to care for all forms of adult and childhood muscular dystrophy. We coordinate care tailored to the needs of patients and families, in partnership with the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
URMC is home to one of six NIH-funded Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Cooperative Research Centers, and our clinicians are active in research, serving as principal investigators for national and international multi-center trials. Their work includes investigating the best treatment of patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, as well as education and advocacy involving all neuromuscular diseases.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations
Clinton Crossings, Building C
919 Westfall Road, Suite 210
Rochester, NY 14618