Make Appointments & Get Care
What are Neuromuscular Disorders?
Neuromuscular disorders refer to problems that affect nerves controlling voluntary muscles—the ones we use to move parts of our body. The most common symptom of these wide-ranging diseases is muscle weakness.
UR Medicine's Treatments for Neuromuscular Disorders
Our Neuromuscular Disease Center provides diagnosis and treatment for both adults and children. The Neuromuscular Disease Center includes several specialty clinics:
- Acquired Peripheral Neuropathy Clinic (CIDP, GBS, other)
- ALS Clinic
- Autoimmune Neuromuscular Disorders (Myasthenia Gravis, Myositis)
- Cure SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) Center of Excellence
- General Pediatric Neuromuscular Disorders
- Inherited Neuropathies (CMT, Hereditary Amyloidosis, other)
- Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Clinic (FSHD, Myotonic Dystrophy, other Muscular Dystrophies and Congenial Myopathies and Metabolic Myopathies (e.g., Pompe Disease), Periodic Paralysis, etc.)
- PPMD Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Clinic
Our neuromuscular laboratories include the University of Rochester Neurology EMG laboratory, which uses state-of-the art ultrasound, and the Neuromuscular Pathology laboratory offering muscle, nerve, and skin biopsy (small fiber neuropathy) diagnostic services.
What Sets Us Apart?
Our team of experts specialize in what’s needed to care for all forms of childhood and adult childhood neuromuscular disease. We coordinate care tailored to the needs of patients and families, in partnership with the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
As part of an academic medical center, our clinicians are also active in research, serving as Principal Investigators for national and international multi-center trials. URMC has been home to:
- NIH-funded Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Cooperative Research Centers
- PPMD Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Center
- SMA Cures Center of Excellence
- An NIH-funded Inherited Neuropathies Consortium Rare Diseases Clinical Research Network site
Our faculty study disorders including ALS, Charcot Marie Tooth Neuropathies (CMT), Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD), Myotonic Dystrophy, and Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations
Clinton Crossings, Building C
919 Westfall Road, Suite 210
Rochester, NY 14618