The UR Medicine Running Clinic is the only clinic in Upstate New York dedicated to running injury prevention, treatment and performance. Pain or stiffness in muscles, bones or joints can make everything from walking the dog to playing a sport difficult. And injury can make even everyday tasks impossible.
Whether it’s a marathon, a morning jog or a big football or soccer game, our goal is to get patients back to their healthy, active lifestyles.
Running Clinic Performance Services
Interested in finding out more about your running form? Book a gait analysis with one of our running clinicians.
For more information and to schedule, please email email@example.com
What to Expect from the Running Clinic
- A team of experts dedicated to runners and running athletes, which includes orthopaedic physicians, certified athletic trainers, physical therapists and dietitians.
- Custom-tailored treatment and maintenance plans for runners, cyclists, rowers, dancers and other endurance athletes.
- Complimentary services and treatments, such as injury prevention counseling, dry needling, ultrasound, electrical stimulation/iontophoresis Active Release Techniques® & more.*
- Nutritional counseling, energy assessments and recommendations, all provided by our certified dietitian to help with healing from injury and optimizing performance, particularly in the elite athlete population.
- Education on skills that are needed to reduce the chances of injury, such as strengthening, agility, dynamic and static stretching and balance exercises.
- Sports performance and mental skills coaching to help runners prepare for races.
- Detailed gait analysis to assess for muscular imbalances and improve running performance.
*Some of these services are covered under the physical therapy component of health insurance plans and can be provided at any of our four locations. Patients should consult with their insurance carrier for coverage.
Our team will provide you with a comprehensive lower body evaluation that focuses on strength, range of motion, flexibility and functional movement. Our physical therapists will have you perform run-specific movements to gain an idea of how your body moves and how we can help.
Gait analysis is the study of human motion — measuring every stride we take, at every speed. At the UR Medicine Running Clinic, we use specialized equipment to record, measure and analyze data in real time to identify posture- or movement-related issues in athletes, prevent injuries and help patients run more efficiently.
Running or even walking again is sometimes impossible in the immediate aftermath of an injury. But with the AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill®, runners can get back on their feet safely, as they continue to recover.
Dry needling is a technique similar to acupuncture. Thin needles are inserted in and around sore muscles or tender “trigger points” to improve flexibility and reduce pain. Dry needling zeroes in on the source of pain, whereas acupuncture uses needles to rebalance the energy flow along your body’s pathways. In New York state, dry needling can only be performed by a certified health professional, like those in our running clinic.
Active Release Technique®
Active Release Technique® (ART) is a patented, state-of-the-art soft tissue movement-based massage technique that can help relieve strains, sprains or overused muscles, tendons, ligaments, and nerves. Certified providers evaluate texture, tightness and movement of muscles, ligaments and tendons and treat abnormal tissue by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements.
Iontophoresis is a non-invasive means of delivering anti-inflammatory medications to the body through the skin and underlying tissue, using a low-level electrical current. Instead of needles, patches are applied directly to the areas causing acute pain. Iontophoresis is often used to treat tendonitis, sprains and bursitis.
Ultrasound is a method of stimulating the tissue beneath the skin's surface using very high frequency sound waves. It can increase blood flow in the affected area, decrease pain by reducing swelling and edema and gently massage muscles, tendons and ligaments with no added strain.
The food we put into our bodies can be crucial to what we want to get out of our bodies. Our certified dietitians will help you analyze your diet and create a plan so you can optimize your intake of carbohydrates, fat and proteins to enhance your performance — whether you’re a competitive athlete or a recreational one.
We offer one-on-one consultations, as well as programs for Lifestyle Modification, Injured Athletes and Peak Performance Athletes. It costs $75 for an initial evaluation and $45 for each additional 30-minute follow-up visit. For more information, please call (585) 341-9200.
What Sets Us Apart?
The UR Medicine Running Clinic is dedicated not only to runners, but also to athletes who run as part of a sport, as well as cyclists, rowers, dancers or anyone else who relies on their feet, legs and joints to maintain an active, healthy lifestyle.
Our team uses state-of-the-art technology, sports medicine expertise and evidence-based research to analyze runners and all athletes of every age and ability to help them get back on their feet. We provide practical solutions to help each person develop optimal form, avoid injury and improve efficiency.
- Prompt, effective care and customized return-to-run and return-to-play treatment plans
- More than 20 Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine specialists, including physicians, certified athletic trainers, physical therapists and dietitians
- Top-notch care provided by the largest, most comprehensive medical practice dedicated to sports medicine in the region
- Follow-up and resources for treatment throughout the recovery process
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations