Make Appointments & Get Care
What is Spasticity?
Spasticity is an abnormal increase in muscle tone due to a central nervous system disease.
Symptoms of Spasticity include:
- Abnormal increase in muscle tone that may be described as stiff, tight, or painful
- Difficulty moving joints or relaxing your muscles
- Overactive reflexes
- Muscle spasms or abnormal movements
- Limited or loss of range of motion
UR Medicine's Treatments for Spasticity
UR Medicine’s expertise in diagnosing and treating spasticity spans many departments, including our Neurosurgery and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation departments.
The Adult & Pediatric Spasticity Program helps patients reduce the effects of spasticity. Physicians in our clinic will provide you with a customized treatment plan, which may include:
- Physical or occupational therapy: our therapists specialize in neuromuscular rehabilitation while also providing education and exercises to help your condition. Treatment may include splinting or casting. Often, feedback is provided to your doctor to help guide treatment.
- Bracing/orthotics improve range of motion and function.
- Oral medication: one or more medications can help alleviate your symptoms, depending on their severity.
- Botulinum toxin Injections directly into the affected muscles provide relief from muscle tightness for about three to four months. For pediatric patients, music therapy is available during patient visits to bring comfort to children.
- Adult Intrathecal Baclofen pump: we provide evaluation, recommendation, and management of implantable pumps for chronic spasticity (administered at Strong Memorial Hospital).
- Referrals for surgical intervention, such as tendon lengthening.
Along with an Integrated Spine Care Program, Center for Neuromodulation (stimulating nerves to cure diseases), and our Neuromedicine Pain Management Program, UR Medicine offers true multidisciplinary care.
What Sets Us Apart?
Our extensive team of experts includes physicians who specialize in spasticity. Our specialists have presented at national conferences and authored journal articles and book chapters.
And because we’re part of an academic medical center, our treatment is backed by research into the latest cures.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations