Clerkships for URiM Students
Funded visiting clerkship positions in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery are available at the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) from August through November 2022 for select applicants from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine (URiM) or who have a demonstrated vision and commitment to improving the health status of diverse patient populations via patient care, research and/or teaching.
The visiting clerkship program is designed to give students an opportunity to experience training at URMC and to connect with faculty, residents, and 4th year medical students.
- Funding includes up to $1,000 for travel and housing
- Each student will be paired with a faculty member that will serve as a mentor and advisor.
- Each student will be given the opportunity to meet with the Chair and Residency Program Director in the Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. The Residency Program Director will provide mentorship for preparing an application for a successful match into Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- Each student will be paired with a URiM resident and fourth year medical student who will introduce them to the medical center, its resources, and the Rochester community.
- Must be a registered student in good standing at their home school while participating in the externship
- Full-time, final year medical student attending a LCME-accredited U.S. medical school and have completed 3rd year core clerkships
- Must be a U.S. citizen of permanent resident
- Have a demonstrated vision and commitment to improving the health status of diverse patient populations via patient care, research and/or teaching
- Official transcript
- USMLE Step score(s)
- One-page personal statement: Describe your career goals and interest in pursuing a clerkship at URMC, your vision and commitment to improving the health status of diverse patient populations, as well as any information about your future career plans that you think would be helpful in matching you with a URMC program.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of support from a Student Affairs Dean
- Background check
Application deadline: June 1, 2022
For questions or concerns, please email URSMDPipeline@urmc.rochester.edu.
*If accepted, students will need to apply through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (also known as VSAS) system. This should only be done after the students have been notified of their acceptance.
Click here or scan the QR code to begin the clerkship application.