UR Medicine Voice Center
UR Medicine Voice Center provides state-of-the-art evaluation and management of individuals with voice, swallowing and airway disorders such as laryngitis, vocal nodules, vocal polyps and vocal cord paralysis. Our team of specialists includes both fellowship-trained ear nose and throat physicians, speech-language pathologists and singing specialists who have specialized training in diagnostic and therapeutic techniques and work collaboratively to diagnose and treat voice disorders. Our experts are committed to providing the best possible care and treatment for individuals with voice, swallowing and airway disorders utilizing the latest surgical, nonsurgical and in-office treatment techniques.
Specializing in adults and children with voice disorders
A voice disorder can be anything that changes the way you speak or sing. Voice disorders can impact your quality of life, change the way others see you and how you feel about yourself, if left untreated. If you are experiencing hoarseness, voice strain, raspy voice, pitch changes, or it takes more effort to speak or sing, we can help. We specialize in treating adults and children with voice disorders including laryngitis, chronic hoarseness, vocal cord nodules, vocal cord lesions, vocal cord polyps, and vocal cord cysts.
Using the latest techniques and therapies, we effectively treat less common voice problems such as spasmodic dysphonia, essential voice tremor, muscle tension dysphonia, aging voice, and throat cancer and voice box cancer. We also offer surgical options to improve vocal quality if you have vocal cord paralysis. Using microsurgery, a technique proven to provide the best voice outcome, we remove growths on the vocal chords. We identify the root of your voice disorder, treat it quickly and effectively, and improve your overall vocal health.
Comprehensive team of voice disorder specialists
- Fellowship-trained voice disorder specialists. We are the only voice center in Upstate New York with a comprehensive team of voice experts including ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physicians who are fellowship-trained in voice disorders.
- Highly specialized speech pathologists. Our speech pathologists have specialized training to evaluate and treat patients with voice problems, swallowing disorders, and complex conditions such as voice restoration after throat cancer. Our team also includes trained singing voice specialists who are experienced performers, singers, and singing teachers who understand the challenges of being a vocal professional. They bring empathy, clinical expertise, and an insider perspective to evaluating and improving your vocal health. They also provide specialized therapy to performers and singers.
- Less invasive techniques. We use less invasive techniques including office-based laser surgery to treat a variety of vocal disorders. We offer a variety of surgical options for vocal cord paralysis. We also provide Botox injections for spasmodic dysphonia.
- Coordinated care. Voice disorders may result from a variety of medical conditions, including allergies and asthma. We coordinate your care with the right specialists throughout our health system to ensure you receive the best therapies to minimize your symptoms, improve your voice, and optimize your recovery.
- Treatment for all laryngeal conditions. Your voice box, or larynx, is responsible for your voice, your ability to swallow, and your airway or breathing passage. Our doctors and speech pathologists treat voice, upper airway breathing problems such as vocal cord dysfunction (VCD), and swallowing.
- Professional vocal performer services. We provide the highest level of expert care for all vocal performers, from elite professionals who need immediate voice care services to those who sing for enjoyment.
- Better voice treatment decisions. Our ongoing research ensures you receive the best care for your vocal disorder.