This is currently the only Transfusion Medicine Fellowship offered in Upstate New York. This one-year ACGME accredited fellowship is unique, as the fellow will work with the Department of Pathology as well as other departments within Golisano Children’s Hospital, the Wilmot Cancer Institute, and the department of Internal Medicine.
The fellow will be exposed and trained on our regular day-to-day blood bank activities, apheresis procedures, stem cell collection, and special coagulation testing. Our institution is the only Level 1 trauma center in this area with about 50-100 massive transfusion occurrences per year. UR Medicine serves as this regions primary organ transplant, pediatric critical care, and premier congenital heart defect facility.
Additionally, we prepare about 200 stem cell transplant collections per year and process CAR-T cells for immunotherapy providing a well rounded educational experience.
Our Key Program Strengths
- The goal of the fellowship in Transfusion Medicine and Blood Banking is to provide comprehensive training in transfusion medicine, immunohematology, and blood banking.
- We have four full-time Transfusion Medicine faculty members.
- We are committed to providing comprehensive training in Transfusion Medicine in collaboration with the American Red Cross, Northeast Division.
- The fellow should have a working knowledge of the regulatory aspects involved in blood donor collection and transfusion medicine services.
- The fellow will obtain this comprehensive training by experience at the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) and the American Red Cross (ARC).
Please explore our site to learn more about our program and how to apply.
Virtual Interviews - We recognize this is an important time in your professional training – when you will continue to grow personally and professionally, expand your skills and develop plans for your future career. Your safety is a top priority. We are committed to helping you navigate your application process during these unprecedented times. Our faculty and administrative teams are available and will ensure that information is relayed to you in a manner that allows you to make an informed and thoughtful decision. View application information.
More about the program