Skip to main content
Education / Graduate Education / Trainee Handbook / Incoming Graduate Students / New Graduate Student Check List


New Graduate Student Check List

Let’s get started!  checkmark icon
Download checklist


Review the online Trainee Handbook


Locate your URID (aka UID, student ID)

Your University of Rochester ID (URID) may be found on your Applicant Status Page at the top, in parenthesis after your name.


Initialize your Accounts

Visit to initialize your URMC Active Directory (AD Account/username) and NetID. You will need your URID to login. Through this process you will enroll in DUO mobile which is the two-factor authentication system that will help to verify your identity and allow you to access systems at the University.

For a guide in completing this step reference

To help recover and manage your passwords, visit


Locate your URMC account and email

Your university credential accounts will be provisioned and communicated to you via email within two weeks of confirming admission. If you have issues gaining access please contact the University IT Help Desk at or (585) 275-2000 option 5.


Enroll in Duo

For security purposes, if you are not connected to the University network, you will be required to use two-factor authentication (Duo) to verify your identity and access the system. Please note, if you have already Initialized your accounts, you are signed up for DUO. If you are not already enrolled in Duo, click here: For tutorials on how to install Duo, to add additional devices, or any questions you may have in regard to Duo navigate to



University of Rochester full-time, matriculated graduate students are eligible to lease a University apartment. Please be advised that University housing is limited and cannot be guaranteed for all students admitted into graduate programs. The application can be found online at

Applications received on or before the annual lottery deadline (May 1 for fall entry; as received for spring entry) are entered into the housing lottery. Your position on the housing assignment waiting list is determined by lottery draw.

Please visit Office for Residential Life website for further information.

If you have any questions, please contact the University Apartments Office.

University Apartments Office 
(585) 275-5824
(585) 276-1886 (fax)

For those students, who would prefer to live off campus. You can contact the Off-Campus Living Program for assistance.

Off-Campus Living Program
(585) 275-1081
(585) 276-1886 (fax)


Create your ORCID

Your ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor ID) is a unique personal identifier that connects student researchers to their work and professional activities including research papers, grant applications and conference presentations. Having an ORCID will save time on administrative tasks and help ensure they get proper credit for their work. It will help establish an online scholarly identity and make your intellectual contributions more visible and discoverable. 

Visit to set up your ORCID


Sign up for Alert UR

AlertUR is an emergency notification system that allows for mass dissemination of critical information via voice, text, and e-mail to students, faculty and staff in all University Divisions and Medical Center. This system alerts recipients about emergency events and supplements our already established emergency communication methods.


Sign up or waive University Health Insurance Coverage

All full-time students must complete the 2024-2025 Health Insurance Selection Process for the coverage period:

  • August 1, 2024 – January 31, 2025 (Fall 2024 Admits)
  • January 31, 2025 – July 31, 2025 (Spring 2025 Admits)

If you have not completed this process yet, we urge you to do so today by visiting the following web site to complete your Health Insurance Selection Process.

You will need your NetID and password to enter this web site.
You can find additional information about the Health Insurance Plan for Full Time students at


Health History Form

Full time students may complete their health history online at:  FT students Health History

Part time students may complete their health history online at:  PT students Health History


Optional Student Dental & Vision Insurance Coverage
Aetna offers additional add-on coverage which students can elect to enroll in and self-fund for dental and/or vision coverage. For more information, visit, select University of Rochester, click “view your insurance plan details” and scroll to the dental and vision summaries at the bottom of the page.


Complete Laboratory Safety Training for Biological/Chemical/Animal Research Laboratories

Please see your Graduate Program Coordinator for enrollment instructions. If you are entering for the Fall term, please do not reach out until September 1st.

If you are entering for the Summer term, please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator once your start date has been determined.


Intellectual Property Agreements

The University requires everyone who has technical responsibilities to the University or who participates in an internally or externally sponsored research program at the University to execute an Intellectual Property Agreement (IPA). Each graduate program is responsible for securing execution of the IPA at the outset of the student’s program.

The completed forms should be forwarded to ORPA prior to the time that the student begins the program.

 IP Form Link | ORPA policy link


Complete HIPAA Training

The federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), includes important laws and regulations governing health insurance coverage protection and health information security for Americans and their families. Of particular note for students are the sections of HIPAA that guarantee security and privacy of patient identifiable information. All students are required to complete HIPAA training within 30 days of matriculation in the graduate program. The requirement is met by watching Privacy & Security Training video, which is located at:

When you have finished the training, sign the Workforce Member Training Record and give it to your Graduate Program Coordinator.


Check-in with your Graduate Program Coordinator

You have probably been in touch with your coordinator via email for some time now. Please stop by your coordinator’s office to check in and complete paperwork necessary for your program and for payroll.


Check-in with the International Services Office if you are an international student

International students must report to the ISO upon arrival in Rochester. The ISO is required to report your arrival and to verify non-immigrant status through SEVIS. Please refer to the following ISO webpage regarding what to expect and do when you arrive in the United States, in Rochester, and at the University of Rochester as well as the required check-in with our ISO office.


Arrange to have all final, official transcripts and standardized test scores sent

Initial registration in the graduate program is contingent upon receipt of ALL official transcripts bearing degree conferral dates and official standardized test scores. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the originating institution to the SMD-Graduate Education Office by mail to:
Graduate Education & Postdoctoral Affairs University of Rochester
School of Medicine & Dentistry
601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 316 Rochester, NY 14642-8316

Phone: (585) 275-4522

Official Transcripts may also be sent from originating institution electronically



Fall 2024 Admits

Please consult with your program coordinator and/or program director for your course selections for the Fall 2024 semester. Registration will be conducted in our UR Student System. You may access the UR student system with your User ID (AD Account) and password. In order to log in you must be connected to the University network or have Duo two-factor authentication to verify your identity and access the system. For navigation guidance in UR Student materials can be found here.

Spring 2025 Admits

Spring 2025 online registration for new students begins December 1st. For questions regarding your course selections, please see your program coordinator.


Access Services and Support

The Office for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs offers a variety of access services for graduate students in the School of Medicine and Dentistry (SMD). These services aim to provide an inclusive experience and equal access to academic content and program requirements. Our approach relies on collaboration among trainees, the SMD access coordinator, and instructors/other faculty members.

Visit our Access Services and Support webpage for more information.


Get University Identification Card

Please visit the ID Service Office, located in Medical Center room G-7009. The ID Office staff will take your photo and provide you with a laminated, clip-on ID card. Please note that display of an ID card is required for all members of the University while on Campus.


Get a parking permit for your vehicle

To obtain a parking permit, please visit the Parking Office (70 Goler House, East Drive, P.O. Box 270348, (585) 275-4524. You may pay the cost of a full year of parking or purchase a permit on a month-by-month basis. The Parking Office is open from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. You must display your University ID Card and driver’s license to obtain your permit. Don’t risk a parking ticket!!


If you are a PhD student who will be starting in the summer

If you wish to join the doctoral program for a summer rotation, please contact your Program Coordinator to inquire about availability and to secure approval. Eligible summer start dates are July 1 and August 1.


Enrollment Verifications or Loan Deferrals

Enrollment verification is available after registration for classes has occurred.
For the purpose of deferring loans, please note that SMD Graduate Education reports through the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC). If your lender works with the NSC, your loans will be deferred automatically.

If your lender does not work with the NSC, you must obtain an official form from your lender(s). Submit the form(s) to the University Registrar Processing time for loan deferment request forms is generally within 3-5 business days of receipt of form(s), Monday through Friday.


Ask questions and let us know if we can help!

The Office for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs is a service office dedicated to providing our graduate students and postdoctoral appointees with the highest quality service possible. If you need information about the school, your program or obtaining various University services, please let us know. We are here to help YOU!

Resources can be found at