Engage in Equitable Health Care
Engage in equity as a health system by making care more accessible and reducing disparities through research, active listening, and collaboration with community partners.
- Equitable, accessible health care delivery
- Health equity research and education that informs practice
- Minority and Women Business Enterprises
Key Milestones for FY2021
- Assess barriers to access across the community
- Increased data capture and accuracy for patients’ race and ethnicity
- Anti-racism statement included in clinical research process (IRB)
- Implement diversity and inclusion recruitment and retention best practices to increase BIPOC participants in clinical research
- Ensure equitable, accessible health care delivery
- Work with partners to assess and mitigate barriers to access across the community
- Significantly increase data capture and accuracy for patients’ race and ethnicity in eRecord; use de-identified information as a tool to study and address health disparities
- Establish URMC as a national leader in health equity research and education
- Enhance research and education related to health and health care equity that includes local and national/international investigators.
- Ensure health equity research informs URMC senior leadership and URMC clinical quality improvement
- Provide support to schools and clinical departments to implement health equity education
- Work with community partners to identify and study our area’s top five health priorities and disparities; action plan to address learnings
- Increase use of Minority and Women Business Enterprises (MWBE)
- Directory of local MWBE, including those who might not be able to meet official certification
- Extensive internal review of our clinical presence in the City of Rochester.
- Increased activity with Community Partners to better serve city residents.
- Have increased capability to track social determinants of health for patients in the electronic medical record.
- Four critical working groups are actively identifying system opportunities to ensure—
- healthcare equities
- build community partnerships
- lead the way with health equity research and education, specifically focusing on the impact of racism on health and translating our efforts into policy and action.
- Proposal for Office of Health Equity Research.
- Edith Williams, PhD, named Founding Director of the Office of Health Equity Research. Visit this website to learn more.
- Telva Olivares, M.D., is now head of the Health Equity Steering Committee.