Nurture a Respectful Learning and Work Environment
Nurture our learning and work environment to infuse inclusion, foster respect, and celebrate diversity fulfilling the promise of our "ICARE" values—integrity, inclusion, respect, accountability, and excellence—always and for all.
- Anti-racist, social justice, respectful climate
- Infuse diversity and inclusion topics in SMD and SON learning activities
Key Milestones for FY2021
- Anti-racist statement is developed and widely circulated
- All educators adopt inclusive practices into learning activities
- Build a climate founded on principles of anti-racism and social justice
- Develop UR anti-racism statement
- Celebrate religious, ethnic and cultural events
- Climate survey
- Improve ability to provide input to Public Safety Review Board
- Work with UR to recruit and retain culturally responsive and trauma-informed mental health counselors to help faculty, staff and learners
- Integrate equity and inclusion into curricula
- Schools and departments define goals or learning objectives for all faculty to follow
- DEI Climate Survey is being distributed.
- Religious and cultural events are being celebrated on digital displays throughout campus and recognized on social media.
- Updating Hire and Orientation materials, and Performance Management and Restorative process to incorporate our values and behaviors.
- Developing a process to educate all faculty and other educators on inclusive excellence in the classroom.
- Training through DEI framework of restorative justice, using "Theater of the Oppressed" as a methodology for interactive group training and one-on-one coaching.
- Established Deaf Professionals under a central budget through OEI
- Members of the URSMD OEI team are enrolled in Restorative Practices Certificate Program through the University of Maine.