Inpatient Acute Rehabilitation
Our Specialty Programs
UR Medicine offers specialized programs for specific conditions, such as brain and spinal cord injuries. We have staff that are uniquely qualified to treat those particular types of injuries.
Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
- UR Medicine’s Strong Memorial Hospital is a nationally recognized Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Center for rehabilitation.
- We treat over 70 patients per year with spinal cord injuries.
- After you have completed your acute inpatient rehabilitation, you will continue to have follow-up visits to ensure that you are as healthy and functional as possible. We are committed to your quality of life for your entire life.
Brain Injury Rehabilitation
- Our Brain Injury program treats individuals who have sustained injury to the brain caused by incidents such as falls, car accidents, or sports injuries.
- It helps patients restore independence, cognition, balance, and regain their thinking and decision-making abilities.
- The goal of the UR Medicine Brain Injury program at Strong Memorial Hospital is to connect patients to their community. We work on community integration by referring patients to local resources they can use when they have completed inpatient care.
- The program is led by rehabilitation medicine physicians who are specialty-trained in the medical management of patients with brain injuries.
- Inpatient Stroke Rehabilitation is a comprehensive program helping patients maximize their function and get back to their normal lives after experiencing a stroke.
- UR Medicine offers the most advanced stroke care in the region. And we provide the benefit of continuing your rehabilitative care at the same hospital where you received medical treatment for your stroke.
- We have a partnership with Golisano Children’s Hospital, allowing us to provide children over age 6 with specialized inpatient rehabilitation for a range of conditions. While in our program, pediatric specialists from Golisano are available to check on your child regularly.
- Our pediatric program offers several private rooms that can be personalized for each child and are large enough to accommodate parents overnight. We also offer pediatric exercise equipment.
- During the school-year, children can receive tutoring while completing their inpatient rehabilitation.
We also provide rehabilitation for:
- Multiple Trauma
- Neurological Disease
- Cardiac Disease
- Organ Transplants
Inpatient Acute Rehab Brochure
The acute inpatient rehabilitation staff at UR Medicine’s Strong Memorial Hospital are dedicated to both the physical and emotional well-being of our patients. We have staff with extensive experience and training, including Fellowship-trained physicians and Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses, a designation reserved for the highest-level experts in rehabilitative care.
- Rehabilitation Medicine Physicians (Physiatrists) specialty trained in the management of the unique medical, physical, and mental impacts associated with various neurologic and medical conditions. They prescribe and oversee the treatment plan for each patient.
- Rehabilitation Nurses provide 24-hour care based on restorative principles – a nursing practice focused on helping patients live as safely and as independently as possible.
- Occupational therapists help you improve your ability to perform daily activities, such as bathing and dressing.
- Physical therapists work to improve your strength, balance, coordination, endurance and mobility.
- Speech therapists evaluate and treat challenges with swallowing, communication, and cognition.
- Rehabilitation Neuropsychologists can help you and your loved ones navigate the cognitive, emotional, behavioral, and pain issues that accompany adapting to an illness/injury.
- Social workers provide emotional support and education to patients and their families. They coordinate services and connect you to community resources.
- Recreational therapists use leisure activities to treat emotional, cognitive and physical challenges.
- Medical and surgical specialists if Strong Memorial Hospital physicians provided acute medical treatment to you, they will be readily available to consult with your rehabilitation team, ensuring excellent coordination of care and communication.
The Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Program at UR Medicine’s Strong Memorial Hospital offers advanced technology to help patients make progress in their recovery.
Our equipment includes:
- Robot technology that allows patients to practice movement.
- A computerized therapy system to improve cognitive and visual performance.
- A SafeGait, which is a ceiling-mounted body-weight support and fall protection system. It helps patients practice walking, improve strength and overcome balance concerns.
- An apartment unit provides an environment for patients to practice activities of daily living such as doing laundry, cooking, and personal hygiene.
- A car in our therapy gym allows patients to practice transferring in and out of a vehicle. The patient’s spouse or caregiver can use the car to practice transfer assistance.