Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship Program in Critical Care Medicine
Applications for the 2021-22 fellowship class will be accepted, starting on January 1, 2022.
The APP Fellowship Program in Critical Care Medicine at Strong Memorial Hospital is a 12 month post-graduate specialty training program for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. The program is approximately 75% clinical and 25% didactic and includes side-by-side education with the URMC Critical Care Fellowship Program.
The APP Fellowship includes a core program of critical care medicine and also several specialty rotations. Critical Care rotations include experiences in the Cardiovascular ICU, Burn/Trauma ICU, Surgical ICU, Neuromedicine ICU, and Medical ICU.
Goals of the Fellowship Program
- It is anticipated that the fellows will show clinical growth, improved clinical confidence and increased preparedness to care for patients in all of these settings, by the completion of the fellowship.
- Our post graduate NP/PA Fellowship will provide additional skills training, as well as independent mentorship experience in critical care environments for the duration of 12 months.
- This will be an intensive clinical program which will prepare NP's and PA's to meet the needs of culturally diverse and clinically complex patients that are typical.
- Fellows will be employees of URMC and will comply with all patient care policies.
Hands on training in all of the following areas
- Rotational Electives
- Simulation Lab Experiences
- Ultrasound Course
APP Fellowship Benefits
- APP Fellows are offered full employee benefits including CME allowance and paid vacation.
- The Fellowship program includes certifications such as:
- Upon successful completion of the program, Fellows will be offered full-time medical staff positions in one of the Adult ICU’s.
- Fellowship applicants should be new graduate or early-career nurse practitioners or physician assistants with a strong interest in critical care.
- Applicants must be license-eligible in New York State.
- A complete application includes a resume, cover letter, and a letter of recommendation from a clinical educator or colleague (APP or physician preferred).
The application deadline for the 2021-2022 fellowship year is March 1, 2022 and interviews will be conducted March 22 and 24, 2022.
About UR Medicine
- Serves over 100,000 patients annually from the greater Rochester area.
- NP/PA will work with faculty with a wide variety of expertise in Critical Care. Fellows will be on the cutting edge of health care delivery as they train to work within the University of Rochester Medical Center.
- Adult Critical Care Services covers 100 ICU and PCU beds
- Applications due March 1, 2022
- Interview dates: March 22 and 24, 2022
- Application acceptance notification: May 2022
- Program start date: August 2022
- 12 month program
- Fellows are expected to remain for an additional 12 months, after program completion as ICU staff providers (upon successful completion of the 12 month program).
- Competitive Fellowship salary
- Health insurance coverage
- Dental insurance coverage
- Life insurance policy
- Disability insurance coverage
- 5 weeks vacation/year
- 1 week CME time/year
- $1000 CME annually
- $300 book stipend
Our Fellows / Graduates
Day in the life of a critical care fellow at URMC
Would you like to gain more insight into the daily life of a fellow in our program? Find out more by reading this profile from one of our graduates:
Class of 2018
- Allison Lurz, PA
- Samantha Dombrowski, NP
Class of 2019
- Paige Kuebler, PA
- Sandra Gutierrez, NP
- Glenna Regan, PA
Class of 2020
- Maisie Pipher, PA
- Samantha Deland, NP
- Vincent DeRienzo, PA
Class of 2021
- Sarah Jones, PA
- Deborah Herford, NP