Xueya Cai, PhD
Research Associate Professor
Ph.D. (2008) State University of New York at Buffalo
University of Rochester
Dept of Biostatistics and Computational Biology
265 Crittenden Boulevard, CU 420630
Rochester, New York 14642-0630
Office: Saunders Research Building 4208
Phone: (585) 275-2162
Fax: (585) 273-1031
My research interests include super learner, causal inference, missing data analysis, mixed model, and their applications to biomedical and health services research project.
My collaborations are in the area of health services research, including studies in nursing home and hospital quality of care, orthopaedic and CABG surgeries, and community vision care. I have also worked with investigators in other areas, including analgesic clinical trials, biomarker analysis, and psychiatric disorders such as alcohol dependence and bipolar disorder.
Full List of Publications
Please visit my URMC Profile for a complete list of publications or download my curriculum vitae.
Theory and Methodological Research:
- Wang D, Cai X, Tian, L. Interval Estimation for the Gini Index of Shifted Exponential Distribution under Type-II Double Censoring. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology. 2015 (15) 69-81.
- Cai X, Wilding GE, Hutson A, Java J. Estimation and Testing of the Conditional Correlations Across Continuous Variable(s) for Heteroscedastic Data. Advances and Applications in Mathematical Sciences. 2012, 10(9): 191-206.
- Wilding GE, Cai X (Corresponding Author), Hutson A, Yu Z. A Linear Model Based Test for the Heterogeneity of Conditional Correlations. Journal of Applied Statistics, 2011, 38(10): 2355-2366.
- Liang Y, Tayo B, Cai X, Kelemen A. Differential and trajectory methods for time course gene expression data. Bioinformatics. 2005. 21: 3009-3016.
- Jin P, et. al. Medical statistical methods. Second edition. Series of public health and preventive medicine. Shanghai: Fudan Press. 2004. Book chapter: Agreement analysis.
- Cai X, Jin P. The method and its limitation to assess agreement using Intraclass Correlation Coefficient (ICC). Journal of preventive medicine in China. 1999. 33(3): 175-76.
- Li Y, Cai X, Wang M. Social media ratings of nursing homes associated with experience of care and "Nursing Home Compare" quality measures. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Apr 27;19(1):260. PMCID: PMC6487046
- Thirukumaran CP, Glance L, Cai X, Kim Y, Li Y. Penalties and rewards for safety-net versus non-safety-net hospitals in first 2 years of the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement Model. JAMA. 2019 May 28;321(20):2027-2030. PMCID: PMC6547113
- Gewandter JS, Frazer M, Cai X, Chido V, Rast S, Dugan M, Carter H, Rahman R, Stone J, Markman J. Extended-release gabapentin for failed back surgery syndrome: Results from a randomized double-blind cross-over study. Pain. 2019 May;160(5):1029-1036. PMID: 30624344
- Tempkin-Greener H, Campbell L, Hasselberg, MJ, Cai X, Li Y. Are post-acute patients with behavior health disorders admitted to lower quality nursing homes? AM J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2018 Jun;26(6):643-654. PMID: 29576229
- Li Y, Cen X, Cai X, Thirukumaran CP, Zhou J, Glance LG. Medicare Advantage Associated With More Racial Disparity Than Traditional Medicare For Hospital Readmissions. Health Aff (Millwood). 2017 Jul 1;36(7):1328-1335.
- Li Y, Yin J, Cai X, Temkin-Greener H, Mukamel DB. Association of race and site of care with pressure ulcers in high-risk nursing home residents. JAMA. 2011. 306(2):179-186.
- Mittal M; Thevenet-Morrison K; Landau J; Cai X; Gibson L; Schroeder A; Chaize J; Carey MP. An Integrated HIV Risk Reduction Intervention for Women with a History of Intimate Partner Violence: Pilot Test Results. AIDS and behavior. 2016; 2017, 21(8): 2219–2232.
- Cai X, Temkin-Greener H. Racial disparity in admission to nursing homes among dual eligible HCBS users. Medical Care. 2015 Jul.53(7):566-73.
- Laroche HH, Ford C, Hansen K, Cai X, Just DR, Hanks AS, Wansink B. Concession stand makeovers: a pilot study of offering healthy foods at high school concession stands. J Public Health (Oxf). 2015 Mar;37(1):116-24.
- Cai X, Campbell N, Khan B, Callahan C, Boustani M. Long-term anticholinergic use and the aging brain. Alzheimer's & Dementia. 2013 Jul;9(4):377-85.
- Cai X, Li Y. Are AMI Patients with Comorbid Mental Illness More Likely to be Admitted to Hospitals with Lower Quality of AMI Care? PLoS ONE 2013, 8(4): e60258. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0060258
- Cai X, Cram P, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS. Are African American Patients More Likely to Receive a Total Knee Arthroplasty in a Low-quality Hospital? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2012 Apr; 470(4): 1185-93.
- Nurnberger J, McInnis M, Reich W, Kastelic E, Fisher C, Erpe M, Gershon ES, Berrettini W, Laite G, Schweitzer R, Rhoadarmer K, Coleman V, Cai X, Azzouz F, Liu H, Monahan P, Wilcox HC. A high-risk study of bipolar disorder: Childhood clinical phenotypes as precursors of major mood disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry. 2011 Oct;68(10):1012-20.
- Cai X, Cram P, Li Y. Origination of Medical Advance Directives Among Nursing Home Residents With and Without Serious Mental Illness. Psychiatric Services, 2011. 62:1-6.
- Murphy TF, Brauer AL, Sethi S, Kilian M, Cai X, Lesse AJ. Haemophilus haemolyticus: a human respiratory tract commensal to be distinguished from Haemophilus influenzae. Journal of infectious diseases. 2007. 195:81-89.
Last updated: December 4, 2019