Wilmot Cancer Institute's Sands Cancer Center is located at Thompson Health in Canandaigua. Known for its compassionate care, Sands Cancer Center combines an outpatient infusion center which is part of Strong Memorial Hospital and a radiation oncology department which is part of Highland Hospital. The Center provides care for adults with many types of cancers and hematologic disorders. Established in 2000, Sands provides access to the most comprehensive and advanced care in a comfortable environment, utilizing advanced radiation oncology technology.
Professional medical oncology and hematology services at Sands Cancer Center are provided by Interlakes Oncology and Hematology, an affiliate of UR Medicine.
Services & Amenities
With convenient on-site parking, Sands Cancer Center features one radiation treatment area and a large infusion center for patients who need chemotherapy, hematology or infusion therapy. Other features include:
- An on-site lab for blood work is available for patients. Blood draw services are also available at UR Medicine’s many other convenient laboratory locations.
- Supportive resources including social work and help navigating benefits and financial assistance programs.
- Wig, scarves and prosthesis resources.
- Monthly support group for patients.
- Integrative oncology resources such as massage therapy.
- Clinical trials, which are available for a variety of cancers at different stages and help lead to the next generation of therapies.
- Advanced diagnostic testing for certain cancers, helping physicians to tailor treatments more precisely to a patient’s needs.
- Outpatient palliative care services to help with pain and symptom management, as well as decision-making, throughout the treatment process.
- Survivorship care planning to help patients navigate life after treatment.