What is Cardiac Catheterization?
Today, many of the most advanced treatments for heart disease no longer require a large incision in the leg. Instead, state-of-the-art catheterization involves inserting a thin catheter tube through a blood vessel in the wrist to open up clogged arteries, fix structural heart problems, and extend a patient’s life.
Catheterization procedures at UR Medicine include:
- Coronary artery stents and angioplasty
- Peripheral artery stents and angioplasty
- Radial artery approach for stents and angioplasty
- Percutaneous closure of Atrial Septal Defects and Patent Foramen Ovale
- Percutaneous mitral valvuloplasty and aortic valvuloplasty
- Alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Percutaneous left ventricular assist device
- Endomyocardial biopsies
- Right heart catheterizations
UR Medicine's Approach
UR Medicine Interventional Cardiology Group leads the region in providing the most advanced, minimally invasive procedures for the treatment of heart disease.
The program features:
- Cardiologists specializing in the newest and most effective treatments for cardiovascular disease.
- Advanced treatments, many of which are unavailable elsewhere within the Rochester region.
- Techniques that avoid large incisions, allowing people to be up and walking just hours after the procedure.
- Four fully equipped catheterization labs staffed by expert nurses and technicians.
- A team approach to care, working closely with other UR Medicine surgeons who specialize in cardiac care.
- 24/7 cardiac catheterization laboratory.
What Sets Us Apart?
You can trust our team—other hospitals do. UR Medicine is a referral center for the most complex heart surgeries, which means other hospitals in the Rochester area send their most challenging cases to us.
Our rapid response to heart attacks ranks among the best in the nation: our “door-to-balloon" times (measuring how quickly treatment begins) place us in the top 10% of all hospitals in the country.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations