Emergency & Trauma Surgery
Make Appointments & Get Care
Injury is the leading cause of death in Americans under age 44, and the fifth leading cause of death overall. When seconds count, specialized care in a trauma center is a matter of life or death.
Our Kessler Trauma Center is a tertiary referral center, meaning it has the expertise to handle the most complex cases sent to us by other regional health systems. Our specialists cover a wide range of disciplines.
By the Numbers
Bed Intensive Care Unit
Patients Admitted Yearly
UR Medicine's Approach
The Kessler Trauma Center manages life-threatening injuries, but our team also takes a comprehensive approach to trauma care for anyone in our region.
The cycle of care progresses from critical care and recovery to rehabilitation and physical therapy, support with returning into the community, and injury prevention through community outreach.
What Sets Us Apart?
The Kessler Trauma Center is Greater Rochester's only full-service trauma facility, providing 24-hour access for the entire Finger Lakes Region. We treat thousands of injured patients a year.
Special features of the Kessler Trauma Center include:
- Board-certified trauma surgeons/surgical intensivists available around the clock
- Surgeons who are part of local, national, and international organizations involved in trauma research, education, outreach, and advocacy
- Sub-specialty support services (neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, vascular surgery) available around the clock
- Access to whole blood (supplied by the American Red Cross) for resuscitation of bleeding trauma patients
- Emerging technologies such as Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta (REBOA) and rib plating for rib fractures
- Complete support of the trauma patient from initial arrival through the rehabilitation process and beyond
- Quality and performance improvement programs including the availability of trauma video review
- Immediate availability of fully staffed, trauma operating rooms
- Modern trauma resuscitation bays with immediate access to ultrasound, x-ray imaging, and state-of-the-art CT scanning
- Transfer center available around the clock
- Easy access by air (helipad) or critical care transport service (ground)
- Faculty and staff involved in multicenter trials involving trauma care
Stop the Bleed: Death from bleeding is the number one preventable cause of death from injury. We support the national STOP THE BLEED public health campaign to save lives by training people across the country in how to stop bleeding (similar to encouraging people to learn CPR). The annual national STOP THE BLEED Day is a one-day call to action. For more information, visit StopTheBleed.org.
Rochester Youth Violence Partnership: This hospital-based, violence intervention program helps trauma victims under the age of 18 when they seek medical care following a knife or gun injury. Our regional trauma center’s efforts are supported by 28 local nonprofit, government, and service-based organizations. The hospital serves as “first responder” by identifying at-risk patients and treating injuries. A coordinated effort follows to help reduce violence in this vulnerable population.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations