UR Medicine Spine Center
Make Appointments & Get Care
The UR Medicine Spine Center provides world-class care for spine disorders, injuries, and disease. Our team of more than 30 nationally and internationally recognized spine experts use a multidisciplinary approach to tailor care to each patient’s specific needs.
Over 90% of symptoms related to spinal conditions can be treated non-surgically. In most cases, the Spine Center’s subspecialty-trained specialists can get excellent results by creating programs for patients using multiple types of non-invasive treatments.
We use evidence-based programs to address every part of a patient’s spine condition.
Our state-of-the-art facilities are housed at the brand-new Orthopaedics & Physical Performance Center, the largest and most complete facility of its kind in the Northeastern United States. This allows easier access and the latest and best approaches to care.
By the Numbers
Patients come to the UR Medicine Spine Center every year.
UR Medicine's Approach
The UR Medicine Spine Center offers a complete range of treatments—from education and diagnosis-specific physical rehabilitation to minor surgical procedures and up to the most complex spine surgeries.
A combination of conservative treatments can include:
- Education: Recommendations on lifestyle adjustments that promote a healthy spine can include smoking cessation, weight loss, proper spine biomechanics, and getting regular exercise.
- Activity modification: Short periods of rest and/or changes in how certain activities are done may be prescribed depending on the patient’s diagnosis and work or lifestyle.
- Orthotics (braces): These devices are used for certain types of non-surgical and surgical conditions.
- Topical treatments: These can include heat, cold, ultrasound, or electrical stimulation to relieve symptoms.
- Topical and/or oral medications: Different options can reduce swelling, manage pain, control muscle spasms, and help with pain-related sleep deprivation.
- Spine-specific physical therapy: A subspecialty-trained spine physical therapist who has expertise in spine conditions can help reduce pain, maximize function, and help patients return to an active lifestyle.
- Spinal manipulation and manual treatments: Experts such as physical therapists and chiropractic massage therapists can work with spinal and soft tissue to improve blood flow, reduce tension, and relieve pain.
- Pain psychology: Patients are sometimes referred to a licensed psychologist with an expertise in pain as part of a comprehensive pain management program. This can help patients develop healthy coping strategies for managing chronic pain.
Interventional and Minor Surgical Procedures
Our specialists also perform procedures such as:
- Corticosteroid injections to safely and precisely resolve pain stemming from inflammation and swelling of a spine structure. This allow the body's own healing mechanisms to repair structural problems.
- Radiofrequency Ablation to relieve low back pain transmitted from painful arthritic spinal joints.
- Vertebral Body Ablation to relieve low back pain from disk endplates and structurally degenerated disks.
- Spinal Cord Stimulator Trial and Implantation to block pain signals from pain-sensitive spinal nerves.
Over 90% of patients with back and neck pain will improve without surgery. However, when non-surgical methods don’t achieve a desired result, spine surgery may be your best option.
Some of the common spine surgical procedures we routinely perform include:
- Discectomy: Removal of a portion of a disk to relieve pressure on a spinal nerve.
- Foraminotomy: Commonly done to treat narrowing of the spinal canal (spinal stenosis), lateral disk herniations, or facet arthritis to free the spinal nerve from compression and irritation.
- Laminotomy and laminectomy: Removing a small amount of the bone over the spinal canal (lamina) to eliminate a source of compression on the spinal cord or nerve root in any part of the back.
- Spinal fusion: For degenerative disk disease, spondylolisthesis or slipped vertebrae, scoliosis, spinal tumor, and spinal trauma. In our level-1 regional trauma center at Strong Memorial Hospital, our surgical experts evaluate and treat the most complex spine fractures and dislocations.
Young girl dances again after intense spine surgery.
What Sets Us Apart?
We are the only spine management program in the region offering on-site:
- Spine x-rays MRI, CT scans, and nerve testing
- Active exercise-focused spine physical rehabilitation
- X-ray-guided interventional spine procedures.
- Chronic pain management procedures and pain psychology
- Full-range of spine surgeries, from minimally invasive to the most complex
The brand-new Orthopaedics and Physical Performance Center, where we're located, is optimized for the latest treatment advances. Access is a high priority. We can usually provide routine appointments with a spine specialist within a week. In most cases, urgent care appointments directed by a primary care physician can occur within 24 hours.
And because we're part of an academic medical center, our involvement in education, research, and the community allows our patients to have direct access to the newest treatments, technologies, and procedures.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations
Clinton Crossings, Building D
4901 Lac De Ville Boulevard, Suite 220
Rochester, NY 14618
10 Miracle Mile Drive
Rochester, NY 14623