History of Eastman Institute for Oral Health 1905: The Dental Dispensary is opened by the Seventh District Dental Society of New York in conjunction with the Rochester Public Health Association on 32 South Washington Street. Captain Henry Lomb of Bausch and Lomb donates $600. 1910: Leading dentists of the day re-establish the dental clinic at School No. 14. 1915: George Eastman donates the funds on October 13 to build the Rochester Dental Dispensary. 1916: Frank Ritter's daughters donate the Dispensary equipment. The Dispensary establishes the Rochester School of Dental Hygiene. Dr. Rudolph Hofheinz is named principal, but dies suddenly. Mrs. Rudolf Hofheinz donates the laboratory equipment in her husband's memory. 1916: Dr. Harvey J. Burkhart is named first Dispensary director and becomes principal of the Dental Hygiene School. 1917: First graduates of Dental Hygiene School are awarded diplomas. 1917: Rochester Dental Dispensary is dedicated May 9 and opens October 15. 1919: The Dispensary's Tonsil-Adenoid Clinic opens. George Eastman provides an additional endowment of 1000 shares of Kodak stock to support the treatment of nose and throat ailments and orthodontics. 1920: Eastman gives $4 million to match $5 million grant by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., making possible the University of Rochester's School of Medicine and Dentistry. A plan to develop the School of Medicine and Dentistry in connection with the University of Rochester is announced. 1928: Plans for the dental component of the School of Medicine and Dentistry in cooperation with the Dispensary are abandoned. The University of Rochester Dental Fellows Program is developed. 1929: The Rockefeller Foundation provides fellowships to the UR to support dental research and training. A consultation dental clinic is established in Strong Memorial Hospital's out-patient department. 1930: Eastman Dental Institute in London is dedicated on November 19. 1932: George Eastman dies at age 77 and bequeaths another million dollars to the Rochester Dental Dispensary. 1933: The Eastman Dental Clinic of Rome is dedicated April 21. 1935: The Brussels Clinic is dedicated July 31. 1936: The Stockholm Clinci is dedicated April 25. 1937: The Paris Clinic is dedicated October 21. 1941: The Rochester institution is renamed Eastman Dental Dispensary on June 24. 1946: Dr. Harvey J. Burkhart dies at the age of 82. 1947: Dr. Basil G. Bibby is named director of Eastman Dental Dispensary. 1951: A master of science program with a major in dental science is established at the UR School of Medicine and Dentistry in cooperation with the Dispensary. 1955: The Department of Dentistry and Dental Research is created at the UR School of Medicine and Dentistry. 1964: Administration of the Dispensary's School for Dental Hygiene is transferred to Monroe Community College. 1964: Dedication of the Dispensary's new wing provides for an expanded program of dental research. 1965: Name of Dispensary is changed to Eastman Dental Center. 1966: The American Dental Association gives EDC approval for its clinical training programs, which have become world renown. Eastman's signature SMILEMobile program is established with first unit. This program has grown to serve thousands of chldren each year and became a nationwide model. 1967: Dr. Michael Buonocore describes a process for enhancing the adhesion of plastics to teeth, thus ushering in the modern era of restorative dentistry. 1969: Formal affiliation between The Genesee Hospital's dental department and the UR SMD takes place. The American Dental Association approves a three-year oral surgery program, jointly developed with the school and The Genesee Hospital. A new building and a closer relationship with the University of Rochester are established. 1970: Dr. William D. McHugh is named third director of the Eastman Dental Center when Dr. Bibby retires from his administrative duties to devote his time to research. 1971: A clinical teacher training program is initiated between the UR and EDC with the objective of training the highest quality of dental teachers and researchers 1972: The Department of Dentistry and Dental Research is renamed the Department of Dental Research and a new Department of Clinical Dentistry of the UR SMD is created. 1978: The new Eastman Dental Center at 625 Elmwood Avenue is dedicated on October 26. 1994: Dr. Ronald J. Billings is named the fourth director. Eastman Dental Center and the University of Rochester become partners in providing oral health care, graduate education, and research. 1997: EDC and the UR merge and become partners in providing oral health care, graduate education, and research. 1998: The Eastman Department of Dentistry and the Center for Oral Biology are founded. Dr. Cyril Meyerowitz is named the chair of the Eastman Department of Dentistry of the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. 1999: Dr. Cyril Meyerowitz is named director of Eastman Dental Center in January. 2008: Added fourth SMILEmobile, increasing access to 30,000 additional patients. Awarded a $3.9 million NYS HEAL grant to increase access and capacity for Rochester’s underserved residents. Began major renovations and clinical re-engineering initiative to better meet exploding demand. 2009: Eastman Institute for Oral Health is established, replacing the Eastman Dental Center as a division within the URMC, functioning as the integrated entity responsible for research, education and clinical care in oral health. EIOH occupies the same position on the URMC organizational chart as the School of Nursing, the School of Medicine & Dentistry and Strong Memorial Hospital. Dr. Cyril Meyerowitz appointed Director. 2011: Major $5.9 million renovation completed, allowing a major increase in access to care in both downtown Rochester and at its main clinic site on Elmwood Ave. Sept., 2013: Eli Eliav, DMD, MSc, PhD, is named the sixth director of Eastman Institute for Oral Health. More history available in our Dentistry Archives.