- 6 months of service time
- 14-day blocks of home call, with one full day off in the middle
- Fellow listed as first call for acute stroke
- Attending back-up available at all times
- No clinic obligations while on service
Typical day on service
- 8 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Round with the acute stroke attending
- Fellow runs all rounds and leads the team
- Stroke resident calls fellow regarding all strokes
- One day of clinic per week during off-service blocks
- Ability to work with all core faculty throughout the year
- Fellow given priority for all new patient referrals
- Fellow given priority for all post-discharge follow-ups of educational value
Didactics and Conferences
Neurovascular Case Conference
A weekly neuroradiology conference where stroke neurologists, vascular neurosurgeons, and neuroradiologists gather to discuss the challenging cases of the week.
Stroke Fellows Journal Club
Hosted by the Program Director on a weekday evening once a month, this is a review of the classic stroke literature, where fellows present and discuss the seminal trials of the field dating back to the 1990s and spanning all stages of care from primary and secondary prevention to acute therapies and rehabilitation.
Stroke Fellows Lecture Series
A monthly lecture series featuring vascular neurology, neurosurgery, and neurocritical care faculty, covering a wide breadth of topics in vascular neurology. Occasionally experts from other departments are also invited to speak on stroke-related topics in their respective fields (e.g. lipid disorders, hypercoagulable states etc.).
“Hot scan of the week”
Weekly neuroimaging vignettes illustrating some of the rare, unusual, or classic imaging findings seen in a variety of cerebrovascular disorders. Fellows have a week to review each vignette and formulate their interpretation, after which they receive feedback and instruction on the salient features of the case.
Stroke Journal Club
Fellows and faculty members take turns to present a journal article of interest from the recent stroke literature once a month.
International Stroke Conference
The Program pays for all fellows to attend the International Stroke Conference. Attendance at other conferences is also fully supported if a fellow has an abstract accepted for presentation at another conference.