ERAS®—The Electronic Residency Application Service
ERAS is a service which transmits residency applications, recommendation letters, Dean's Letters, transcripts, and other supporting credentials from medical schools to residency program directors using the Internet.
Applicants to the Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatric Program are required to apply to the program using ERAS.
Applicants should contact their medical schools or see the ERAS web site for more information on this service.
Click here to begin registering on-line with ERAS.
Deadline for applications to be received is November 1, 2023
What We Require:
- Completed application form (CAF) (also printable in CV format)
- Personal Statement
- Transcript(s) from your medical school(s)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- USMLE scores, Steps I and II
- Recommendations: Four total, two from Internal Medicine and two from Pediatrics, are required. One letter from each discipline must be a departmental letter (usually coordinated by the clerkship director and chair).
- Visa type, if applicable (Only J-1 Visas accepted)
- An interview: Invitations for a personal interview will be arranged after the receipt of all the above materials. Interviews are by invitation only, and applicants will be notified about interviews by email.
- NYS 12-Week Rule: An applicant who is expected to graduate (or has graduated) from a non-LCME accredited foreign medical school must satisfy New York State's "12-week rule" (10 NYCRR § 405.4(f)(1)) in order to be eligible to participate in a medical residency/fellowship training program in New York State.
- The rule, declared by the New York State Department of Heath, provides than an individual who graduates from non-LCME accredited foreign medical school may not train in New York State if his/her medical school education includes more than 12 weeks of clinical clerkship rotations outside of the country in which his/her medical school is located unless the individual is eligible for licensure under New York State Education Law § 6528.
About 2 weeks prior to your interview you will receive an email with reminders and details about your visit. If you have questions or requests about your upcoming interview please let us know so we can ensure that your visit meets your specific needs.
After your interview you will be sent a link to fill out a survey, we are very interested in your thoughts about the interview experience.
Letters of Recommendation
The purpose of letters of recommendation are to give us a sense of what you are like to work with in a clinical setting. To get a well-rounded idea of you, we ask for four letters of recommendation:
- Departmental letter from Internal Medicine – Summarizing your rotations in Internal Medicine, usually written by the Clerkship Director.
- Departmental letter from Pediatrics – Summarizing your rotations in Pediatrics, usually written by the Clerkship Director.
- Attending letter from an Internal Medicine clinical setting – This should be written by an Internal Medicine or Med-Peds physician. We will also accept letters from other physicians who have worked directly with you in a clinical setting.
- Attending letter from a Pediatric clinical setting – This should be written by a Pediatrician or Med-Peds physician. We will also accept letters from other physicians who have worked directly with you in a clinical setting.
We are following the recommendations of the MedPeds Program Director Association and holding virtual only interviews this year. As well, we will begin inviting applicants to interview on October 10, 2023.
We are are also planning to offer:
- Virtual tours of the medical center, Rochester community and our clinical sites
- Opportunities to speak live with current residents
- Online live interviews with program directors and faculty
- An informational session and wrap-up with the program director
- Information about our current trainees, alumni and life during residency
2023 Interview Dates
- Thursday, 10/19/2023
- Thursday, 10/26/2023
- Thursday, 11/2/2023
- Thursday, 11/9/2023
- Thursday, 11/16/2023
- Tuesday, 11/21/2023 (*Thanksgiving week)
- Thursday, 11/30/2023
- Thursday, 12/7/2023
- Thursday, 12/21/2023