ERAS®—The Electronic Residency Application Service
ERAS is a service which transmits residency applications, recommendation letters, Dean's Letters, transcripts, and other supporting credentials from medical schools to residency program directors using the Internet.
Applicants to the Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatric Program are required to apply to the program using ERAS.
Applicants should contact their medical schools or see the ERAS web site for more information on this service.
Click here to begin registering on-line with ERAS
Deadline for applications to be received is November 1, 2019
What We Require:
- Completed application form (CAF) (also printable in CV format)
- Personal Statement
- Transcript(s) from your medical school(s)
- Dean's letter
- USMLE scores
- Visa type, if applicable (Only J-1 Visas accepted)
- ECFMG number (if applicable)
All applicants, including international medical school graduates, must complete at least two months of clinical training in an ACGME-approved internal medicine or pediatric program. A listing of these programs can be found in the ACGME "green book." Observerships are not acceptable as clinical training. International medical school graduates who have met these requirements should include a letter to that effect from the clinical advisor of the rotation. For further information regarding the ERAS application process, contact the ECFMG.
- Recommendations: Four total, two from Internal Medicine and two from Pediatrics, are required. One letter from each discipline must be a departmental letter (usually coordinated by the clerkship director and chair).
- An interview: Invitations for a personal interview will be arranged after the receipt of all the above materials. Interviews are by invitation only, and applicants will be notified about interviews by email.
All interviews with the University of Rochester Med-Peds Residency Program are by invitation only. All scheduled interviews will be confirmed with applicants via email from the Program Coordinator, Betsy Brewer. Please check your email often.
About 2 weeks prior to your interview you will receive an email with reminders and details about your visit. If you have questions or requests about your upcoming interview please let us know so we can ensure that your visit meets your specific needs.
After your interview you will be sent a link to fill out a survey, we are very interested in your thoughts about the interview experience.
We offer a one-day interview with opportunities to attend teaching conferences and to meet the house staff in both Medicine and Pediatrics. Your day will include a combination of activities with both departments. There will also be time to tour the medical center, visit our continuity clinic site (Culver Medical Group), and see some of the City of Rochester. You'll find additional details in our Sample Itinerary.
Dinner With Current Residents
One of the most popular parts of your interview is a casual dinner at one of our resident's homes the evening before your interview day. Please plan to arrive the evening before your interview day so that you can take part in this event. It is a good chance to meet your potential future colleagues and get many of your questions answered by those who are already taking part in our residency program. The dinner typically starts at 6:30 PM, and transportation is provided from the hotel to the site of the dinner.
(If you arrive later than 6:30 p.m. and would still like to attend the dinner, please check at the front desk at the hotel for directions or help with transportation).
Spouses & Significant Others
We want to make your visit to Rochester as informative and productive as possible for you and your spouse or significant other. They are welcome and encouraged to attend the dinner with the residents and take the tour of Rochester.
If you would like information on opportunities/contacts in a particular field of study, career, or personal interest, please let us know so we can try to gather information for them beforehand.
Interviews for 2019-20 will be held on:
- October- 10/24, 10/31
- November- 11/4, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 11/26
- December- 12/5, 12/14, 12/19
- January- 1/3
Travel & Lodging
If you have any questions, please email Betsy Brewer
You will be staying at the Strathallan Rochester located at 550 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607.
Your Information Packet
When you check in at the hotel, you will be given a folder containing key information about your visit, including an Itinerary Sheet that will give details for the transportation to the evening dinner with the residents and to the hospital for your interview day. Please note: The schedule for your interview day will be provided at the Morning Welcome with the Program Director on the day of your interview.
Making Hotel Reservations
- Please place your reservation with the Strathallan Rochester at least 7 days prior to your interview date.
- The program will pay $100 towards your accommodations the night before your interview, the hotel will ask for credit card information to guarantee the reservation and for incidental charges (long distance phone, etc.).
- Make your reservations by Phone:
- Contact the reservations desk at (585) 325-5010 or +1(800) 559-8039
- The reservations desk will require your name, the program (UR Med-Peds Residency), your interview date, and your arrival and departure dates. The code for our Department is: MEDPED
- If you choose to stay an extra day before or after the night prior to your interview, the hotel will honor our discounted fee ($89.00/night), but you will need to pay separately and you will be charged a sales and lodging tax of 14%.
- If you need to change your reservation, please contact the hotel at least 24 hours in advance of your scheduled arrival.
- Please contact the hotel with any additional lodging questions by phone
(585) 461-5010. The hotel's reservations desk is staffed 24 hours.
Hotel Shuttle Service
The Strathallan Rochester offers complimentary shuttle service:
- To and from the evening dinner with the residents and to your interview at the University of Rochester (arranged for by the program).
- To and from the Greater Rochester International Airport, the Amtrak Station, and the Greyhound Bus Terminal. Please inform the hotel of your shuttle needs at the time you make your hotel reservation.
A listing of air carriers that service the Rochester area can be found here: Greater Rochester International Airport.