Better Health, Better You
The URMC Department of Surgery is deeply committed to the well-being of residents and faculty. We recognize that while medicine comes with great privileges and joy, there are also significant sacrifices and often burdens. Following the principle of Meliora (“always striving to be ever better”), Better Health Better You is designed to offer surgical residents opportunity to reflect on the challenges of medicine, maintain joy in work, and to establish a network of collaborators, mentors, and community that promote self-care. Programming includes community wide teaching sessions on managing the stress of becoming a surgeon, efforts to improve the daily experience of our trainees, and additional offerings are in development.
Overview of Current Programming
- Annual wellness retreat focused on issues pertaining to professional development, exploration of improving resiliency, and fun!
- Quarterly reflection groups
- Community events throughout the year
- Protected time to attend medical appointments
- Healthy snacks available in resident room
Wellness Task Force
Drs. Kristin Kelly (PGY5), Alexander Cranwell (PGY3), Elaa Mahdi (PGY1) are resident members of the Department of Surgery Wellness Task Force
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Upcoming Departmental Events
- October – Halloween Costume Contest & Festivities
- November – Resident Volunteer Day & Thanksgiving Celebration
- December - Holiday gift exchange
- March - Bowling with Emergency Medicine Residency
- April - Annual Peter Quartararo Wellness Grand Rounds and Retreat
- Beaver Hollow Leadership & Wellness Retreat (Rising 3’s & 5’s), Date TBD
For a complete listing of community events in the Rochester NY area, we recommend that you consult the visit rochester website
Additional Health Resources
Questions may be directed to Dr. Lauren DeCaporale-Ryan.