NYSDOH Vaccinator Training
COVID-19 Vaccine Provider Training (NYSDOH)
New York State is encouraging eligible New Yorkers to take the required trainings to become vaccinators and support the State's COVID-19 vaccination program.
Governor Cuomo signed Executive Order 202.82 expanding the eligible pool of trainees who can administer vaccinations at a "POD site" (flexible vaccination sites that can be set up in any community) pursuant to a non-patient specific order provided they first receive training. These include:
- Licensed practical nurses (LPNs)
- Pharmacists who are not certified to administer immunizations by SED
- Midwives who are not certified to administer immunizations by SED
- Dental hygienists*
*Must have been issued a dental hygiene restricted local infiltration anesthesia/nitrous oxide analgesia certificate
- Emergency Medical Technicians
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians
- Students in eligible education programs (medicine, nursing, PA, pharmacy, dentistry, podiatry, and midwifery)
- Complete FOUR online NYSDOH COVID-19 Vaccine Training for Vaccinators modules.
2. Complete the in-person clinical vaccine administration training with assessment of skills and competencies signed by a supervisor or faculty member using the Immunization Action Coalition Skills Checklist for Vaccine Administration with all areas identified as meeting or exceeding required skills and competencies for vaccine administration.
- For students, the checklist must be signed by the educational institution in which they are enrolled. In addition, a designee from each institution must complete an attestation for any student vaccinator, attesting that such student vaccinator has completed all required trainings and possesses the requisite immunization administration skills to administer influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations in a POD site overseen or approved by the NYSDOH or LHD
- For all other new vaccinators, the checklist may be signed by:
- An MD, PA, NP, or RN OR
- A certified EMS provider designated by the POD’s highest medical authority who has reviewed and signed off on the skills of the evaluator. Preferred EMS evaluators include Certified Lab Instructors, Certified Instructor Coordinator, Field Training Officers, EMS Training Coordinators, Agency leadership.
3. Have a current certificate in basic CPR, which at a minimum must include certification by an online program that has received accreditation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), or the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
4. (For students): Have completed, at a minimum, at least 1 year of clinical experience.
5. Complete NYSDOH Attestation for Completion of New Vaccinator Training on the NYSDOH LMS.
Non-student, new vaccinators for Points of Dispensing (POD) sites, allowable by Executive Order 202.82, must attest to the completion of all required vaccine training components. After registering for the Attestation on the LMS and clicking on "Launch Course," you will be redirected to complete a survey form. Please answer all questions on the survey form and press "Submit" to attest to completion of the required training components. By answering “yes,” you are agreeing that you have completed the stated requirements. By pressing “submit” of this attestation, you understand and agree that the information you supply as part of vaccination training and administration initiative, pursuant to Executive Orders 202.82, as extended, modified, added to, or expanded by subsequent Executive Orders, may be shared with other state agencies and external stakeholders, as necessary to facilitate and evaluate vaccine administration within New York State.
Students should not complete this attestation module. Students should check with their educational institution for institutional attestation procedures on the student’s behalf.
All POD sites must have oversight from or be approved by NYSDOH or the applicable Local Health Department, and must have medical oversight by a licensed physician, licensed physician assistant (PA), or certified nurse practitioner (NP). These individuals must have a current certification in CPR.
QUESTIONS/POINT OF CONTACT
For questions about the vaccine training requirements or COVID-19 vaccine related questions, please contact the NYSDOH at email@example.com or the NYSDOH COVID-19 hotline 1-888-364-3065