Skip to main content
Explore URMC

URMC Logo

menu

Bathroom

BathroomHazards commonly found in bathrooms include toxic chemicals and mold. Bathrooms often have extra moisture from showers, sinks and leaks. This extra moisture can attract pests and often leads to mold.

Visit the kitchen to learn more about safe management of toxic chemicals.

Mold

What is it?

Mold is a kind of fungus and can grow in any area of your home that is warm and moist. It is therefore most commonly found in kitchens, bathrooms, attics and basements. Some kinds of mold are toxic, but even non-toxic molds can cause respiratory problems or trigger asthma attacks. Watch this video to learn about mold, and read below to learn more about how to address mold (video produced by WXXI with support from the New York State Pollution Prevention Network).

Mold on walls

What can I do about mold in my home?

  • Tackle mold early. If you wait, mold will become very difficult to manage and can even damage the structure of your home (see photos at right).
  • For manageable amounts, safely kill and clean the mold.
    • Wear gloves and a mask.
    • Scrub mold with warm soapy water or a 10% bleach solution (2 tbsp bleach per cup of warm water).
    • Be sure area is ventilated while cleaning.
  • For unmanageable amounts, contact the County Health Department for assistance.
  • Mold on wallsFind and fix the moisture source.
    • Fix leaks immediately.
    • Use vent fans or crack open a window while showering to reduce humidity.
    • Seal cracks around windows and doors.
    • Slope soil away from the house so runoff doesn't get trapped along the outdoor wall. Also be sure that gutters are working properly.
  • Dispose of moldy or dusty fabrics that can't be cleaned.

Resources

  • Download the Mold checklist for more details
  • Contact Pete Corrigan at Monroe County Department of Public Health: (585) 753-5075 or pcorrigan@monroecounty.gov