Headache Medicine Fellowship
- Raissa Villanueva MD, MPH Program Director
- Caren Douenias MD, Headache Medicine
- Sarah Kralovic MD, Anesthesia and Pain
- Heidi Schwarz MD, Headache Medicine
- Zoe Williams, M.D, Ophthalmology
- Joel Kent, M.D., Anesthesiology
- Annie Phillips, M.D. Physical Medicine and Rehab
- Alex Hartman, M.D., Ophthalmology
- Marina Connolly, M.D., Neurology Pediatrics
- Nimish Mohile, M.D., Hematology & Oncology
Major Clinical and Investigative Interests
This multidisciplinary UCNS approved fellowship provides subspecialty training in adult headache medicine and successful completion of the one year fellowship will allow candidates to be eligible for UCNS certification in headache medicine.
Primary faculty have appointments in the departments of neurology, anesthesiology, Hematology, Oncology, Pediatric Neurology, Ophthalmology, & Headache Medicine.
Program requirements: Fellowship applicants must have completed an ACGME-accredited residency program in neurology, internal medicine, family medicine, anesthesia, physical medicine and rehabilitation, psychiatry, or obstetrics/gynecology.
The program is designed to cover the full range of headache disorders, including but not limited to:
- Outpatient and inpatient clinical evaluation and management of the full spectrum of headache disorders including tension headaches, migraine, trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias, high and low pressure headaches.
- Development of procedural skills such as peripheral nerve blocks (supraorbital, auriculotemporal, and occipital), trigger point injections, onabotulinum toxin injections, lumbar punctures.
Fellows will have rotations in the outpatient and inpatient settings, neuro-ophthalmology, pain management, lumbar puncture clinic, and pediatric headache. The fellowship also strongly encourages individual research projects, including clinical research and/or quality/process improvement projects.
The University of Rochester offers a UCNS Accredited one-year Fellowship in Headache Medicine. Our Fellowship program accepts one fellow per year via the NRMP Match. Interested applications should apply via the NRMP Match: http://www.nrmp.org/. We receive our applications via the department application for fellowship positions July 1 of the following calendar year. The NRMP Match takes place Aug-Nov. Interviews are scheduled from July-August.
- Fellow must be a graduate of a residency in Neurology or other specialties accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RPSC).
- Fellow must possess a current valid and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United State or Canada or its territories.
- Fellow must be board certified or eligible for certification in a primary ABMS or RCPSC specialty.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please email Cassandra Porter, Program Coordinator, at: Cassandra_porter@urmc.rochester.edu
National Residency Match Program Code: 1511N01F0
UCNS Program Number: HM1037
Term of Fellowship: 12 months
Number of Fellows per Year: 1
Please see NRMP website for dates of match opening and match day
Raissa Villanueva MD, MPH