Living Healthy NY
Living Healthy Workshops Help You
Feel better. Increase your energy and get relief from pain, fatigue, and difficult emotions.
Take control of your life. Helps you do the things you want to do each day.
Get connected. Learn from others who have similar health issues.
For anyone dealing with a chronic or limiting health condition...
- Chronic Pain
The Living Healthy* workshop is a 6-session, peer-led health education program for people with any type of ongoing health condition and compliments the healthcare that person may already be receiving. The purpose of the Living Healthy* workshop is to enhance one’s skills and ability to manage their health and maintain an active and fulfilling lifestyle.
In addition participants learn or enhance their problem-solving and decision-making skills which enable them to confront the ever-changing challenges of living with chronic health conditions. The course is facilitated by two trained volunteers. Participants are invited to bring a family member, friend and/or caretaker.
Program Content Includes:
- Decision making and problem-solving skills
- Developing and maintaining a safe, long-term physical activity program
- Fatigue management
- Dealing with anger, depression and difficult emotions
- Cognitive management of pain and stress
- Communicating effectively with family, friends and health professionals
- Using prescribed medication appropriately
- Healthy eating
- Making informed treatment decisions
- Planning for future health care
Stanford University Patient Education Research Center conducted a randomized, controlled test of the program with 1,000 class participants and found many to have the following outcomes for up to three years after attending the class series:
- Better communication with physicians
- Better coping strategies and symptom management
- Increased physical activity
- Reduced health distress
“In just a few weeks, I got back to feeling better—and back to being the kind of person I like to be.”
“Now I have more energy than I’ve had in years. I’m calmer and more confident about my health.”
“The workshops put me back in charge of my life, and I feel great. I only wish I had done this sooner.”
Classes are offered every spring and fall throughout Livingston County.
Contact (585) 335-4358 or email@example.com for more information or to register.