Noyes General Surgery
Part of Noyes Memorial Hospital
When you need surgery, there’s no room for compromise. You want the best surgeons, a warm and caring environment, and the most up-to-date surgical technology and techniques. That’s what you’ll find at Noyes—a location that’s staffed by professionals where family and friends can visit easily and more often. At Noyes, medical excellence and compassionate care combine to offer you the most effective and comfortable surgical experience possible.
Our Expert Surgeons
Dr. Brian Foresman
Dr. Svetlana Yudina
Dr. John Skillings
Two Convenient Locations
When you need surgery, Noyes gives you a choice: two locations where you will find the best surgeons, anesthesiologists and nursing staff, a warm and caring environment, and the most up-to-date surgical technology and techniques.
Whether you choose the Saunders Surgical Center in Dansville (inpatient and outpatient surgery) or the Same-Day Surgery Center at Noyes Health Services in Geneseo (outpatient only), you can feel confident about the quality of your care.
Saunders Surgical Center
In our surgical suites, board-certified surgeons and anesthesiologists perform a wide range of procedures for both inpatients and outpatients. Our four operating rooms and two procedure rooms are truly state-of-the-art facilities, helping ensure the finest care. We offer:
- General surgery, including but not limited to, minimally invasive procedures, which are supported by high-definition video equipment
- Gastroenterological procedures
- Gynecological surgery, including ablation procedures
- Eye surgery, including retinal procedures
- Orthopedic surgery, including arthroscopic procedures and total joint replacement
- Ear, nose and throat surgery
- Urology procedures
- Advanced pain management surgery
Same-Day Surgery Center
For outpatient surgical procedures in which the patient is treated and released the same day (also called ambulatory surgery).
Noyes Health offers two options: the Saunders Surgical Center at Noyes Memorial Hospital in Dansville, or Noyes Health Services in Geneseo. Approximately 70% of all surgical/invasive procedures are done on an outpatient basis.
Common ambulatory surgery procedures include:
- Arthroscopic procedures (e.g. knee exam/repair)
- Ear, nose and throat surgery
- Eye surgery
- Foot surgery
- Hand surgery
- OB/GYN surgical procedures
- Urogenital surgery (e.g. vasectomy)
- Other types of general surgical procedures
In addition, invasive non-surgical procedures are routinely done at both locations including colonoscopy, cystoscopy, gastroscopy and other exploratory procedures.
Once you and your physician have made the decision to have a procedure done, blood work, an electrocardiogram (EKG) or other tests may be needed before surgery. Pre-Surgical Testing is available at both locations, while you can also get blood samples taken at our Lakeville draw station. Appointments for pre-surgical testing are usually made through your physician’s office when surgery is being scheduled. During the PST visit, we will interview you to obtain information about your health history, as well as to give pre-op instructions. We will give you specific instructions about the day of your surgery. Most patients are instructed to not eat or drink anything prior to their scheduled surgery.
If you have a history of heart problems or high blood pressure, you may be instructed to take your regular medications with a sip of water on the morning of surgery. We will also ask who will be driving you home after your procedure, as it is unsafe to drive after having anesthesia or sedation of any kind. Please feel free to express concerns or ask questions during this pre-op interview process. The more information we have about you in advance, the better we can plan for your care when you are with us.
On the Day of Your Surgery
- Parking: Please park in one of the lots reserved for patients and visitors. Remember that if you are receiving any form of anesthesia or sedation, someone else must be available to drive you home.
- What to bring: When you arrive on the day of your surgery, you will be asked for identification, your insurance card, and any insurance co-pays or deductibles that apply.
- After you check in: You will then be escorted to the pre-op area. If desired, a family member or friend may accompany you. Your health history will be reviewed with you, verifying essential information from the pre-operative interview. Vital signs are taken and, depending on the procedure, an IV may be started. You will also meet your anesthesiologist at this time if one will be involved. While preparing for surgery, you will be asked to sign three consent forms, including: Surgical Consent (permission for the physician to perform the proposed surgery), Consent for Medical Treatment (permission to have your procedure done), and Consent for Anesthesia (permission to have anesthesia given). We are very careful to make sure that the correct procedure is going to be performed on the correct part of your body; you should expect to be asked about it several times.
During Your Surgery
Once you are ready, you will be brought into the appropriate procedure or operating room. Patients may walk in, or be wheeled in on a stretcher. Depending on the procedure, in addition to your doctor an anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, registered nurse, technician, and other assistants may be involved.
After Your Surgery
After your surgery or procedure is completed, you will be taken to the Recovery Room. How long you stay will depend on the procedure, the type of anesthesia you received, and your individual response. Patients stay until their blood pressure, heart rate and breathing are normal. You may be offered something to drink, or a snack. Your doctor and a registered nurse will review discharge instructions with you before you go home. You will be asked if you would like someone from Noyes Health to call to check on you. Please do not hesitate to ask questions or to share any concerns you may have.