Leading the way in finding new treatments for brain diseases
URMC is one of the nation's preeminent institutions for the study of the central nervous system. This research spans from the bench to bedside. Medical Center scientists and clinicians have transformed our understanding of the underlying biological mechanisms of neurological disorders, led efforts to bring new drugs and market, and have helped establish new standards for the delivery of care.
Neuroscience is woven into the fabric of the University, with both basic and translational investigators to be found across more than a dozen departments and centers:
The Institute is building upon what is already one of the nation’s leading centers for research and care in neurobiology and neurological disorders.
- The Department of Neurology has consistently ranked among the top 10 in the nation in the amount of research funding it receives from National Institutes of Health and approximately 25 percent of total research activity at the Medical Center is in the field of neuroscience.
- The University of Rochester is ranked among the top 20 neuroscience and behavior programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- The URMC Center for Health + Technology and Clinical Trials Coordination Center serve as the hub of several global networks of researchers seeking new treatments for a range of neurodegenerative diseases and the Medical Center possesses the unique capabilities to provide both the logistical and scientific support necessary to conduct multi-center clinical trials. Medical Center researchers have helped lead pivotal studies that have brought 7 new drugs to market to treat Parkinson's, Huntington’s, and periodic paralysis.
This strength of the University's research enterprise serves as a foundation for excellence in clinical care by combining leading edge therapies and attracting the brightest minds in the field
- The URMC Department of Neurosurgery is home to one of the state's most advanced brain and spinal surgical programs.
- Strong Memorial Hospital is consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top hospitals in the nation in Neurology and Neurosurgery.
John Foxe Discusses the Del Monte Institute for Neuroscience