How Do I Receive a Cost Estimate?
Use the price estimator tool to see likely hospital charges.
Call for an estimate, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Email us at any time to receive an estimate.
Estimating Your Health Care Costs
Good information helps patients and families make smart decisions about their health care. Our billing experts work with patients and families to estimate how much they could pay for St. James Hospital health care services.
Be sure to have the following information available:
- A description of the medical service you are seeking (or the CPT procedure code which you can get from your health care team).
- Name of your insurance, and your subscriber ID number.
Please Note: The pricing information offered by this service is an estimate based on information you provide to us. Its accuracy is not guaranteed. Unanticipated charges related to an individual’s health care such as unforeseen complications, additional tests or procedures can increase the ultimate cost of services provided.
Why is Health Care Pricing So Complicated?
Many things affect the cost of a health care services. For example, the price of a CT scan (used to obtain images of soft tissue and blood vessels) depends on what part of the body is being scanned and whether a contrast agent (special dye) is needed to make the organs and tissue more visible.
Hospitals and physicians set their own prices for the services they provide, but those prices can change for a number of reasons. For example, insurance companies negotiate their own rates with hospitals. And some government programs (like Medicare) set their own rates. For these reasons, “standard” prices are not much help in figuring out what you will have to pay.
In addition to using our Cost Estimator Service, your insurance carrier can help you understand insurance terms such as out-of-pocket maximums, deductibles and copayments that will affect what you ultimately pay. Patients enrolled in Medicare can find insurance information at www.medicare.gov.
St. James Hospital provides compassionate, medically necessary healthcare to anyone in need—regardless of insurance status or ability to pay. If you cannot afford to pay for part or all of your essential health care services, you may be eligible for Financial Assistance.
Comparing Hospital Charges
Due to new federal government regulations, all hospitals are posting a list of "standard" hospital charges. Please note some very important guidelines about this information:
- Standard pricing listed by hospitals likely does not apply to you if you have government insurance (Medicare/Medicaid), commercial insurance, or both. That’s because insurers have different rules for coverage. What you ultimately pay depends on what type of plan you have.
- Pricing in the chart below reflects hospital charges & physician services billed by the hospital only; it does not include physician or other provider fees that are billed separately from hospital fees.
- Our billing team can figure in both hospital charges and other fees. We are happy to help you estimate your health care costs—whether you have insurance or not. Please see information above on how to contact us for this service.
All charges in this file are estimates and updated at least annually per Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ requirements.
Medicare Price Look Up Tools
To find out Medicare pricing for common inpatient procedures (such as a total hip replacement), visit the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services (CMS). CMS also just launched a new price lookup tool for outpatient procedures performed at a hospital outpatient departments and ambulatory surgical centers.
Health Care Costs
Learn more information about St. James Hospital’s Health Care Costs.
Our Health Care Costs brochure is currently being revised.
Patient Notice of Financial Assistance for the Uninsured and/or Underinsured
St. James Hospital (SJH) is a community of persons committed to being a transforming, healing presence in the communities we serve. Aligned with our core value of commitment to those who are poor, we provide care for persons who are in need and give special consideration to those who are most vulnerable, including those who are unable to pay and those whose limited means make it extremely difficult to meet the expenses incurred in receiving healthcare.
When Does Financial Counseling Start?
Financial counseling starts at the point of registration. Registrars will ask all uninsured patients if they would like to speak with a Financial Counselor. The Financial Counselors will contact any patients requesting financial counseling within 24 hours. They are also available for patients to come onsite to review their documents and financial situation.
Financial Counseling Services include:
- Assistance with navigation to NYS of Health enrollers for Medicaid applications
- Assistance with Charity Care applications
- Assistance with other discount policies for inpatients and high cost services
- Flexible Payment Arrangements
- Answering questions regarding patient statements
- Patients may be eligible for government programs such as Medicaid or Family Health Plus and/or Charity Care
Specific policies and procedures are in place for financial counseling services and are carefully followed for fair and consistent consideration of each applicant.
Financial Assistance Policy Summary Financial Assistance Application